Toploader barely shifts when hot - Page 2 - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 177
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Good point n20mike. I've heard the same thing, and run Sta-Lube 85W-90 in mine. Make sure it says GL-4 on the label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-10 lube.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	157205  

1965 Ranchero Deluxe 66B
Factory 289 4-speed
BrewBoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 AM
Tech Contributor Gold
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Amish Wonderland Of Central PA
Posts: 4,909
Garage
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Make sure you're not missing some basics... These transmissions do NOT like synthetic. What you need is standard 90W. If someone has put motor oil, synthetic gear oil, etc the function will be compromised.
75w90 is fine.

This--learned this the hard way using Mobil 1 synthetic. Had OK usage with GL5 Dino Oil but now use the correct GL4 type.

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip. Dart 434W NA, Victor heads, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear gear, on 93 octane pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]
dennis111 is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 146
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Make sure you're not missing some basics... These transmissions do NOT like synthetic. What you need is standard 90W. If someone has put motor oil, synthetic gear oil, etc the function will be compromised.
75w90 is fine.

It's always good to check the basics like the gear oil in this case. It has the GL4 that David Kee sells in it. The green stuff. The level is about 1/8 inch from the top of the fill hole. Thanks for the reminder.
65merccyclone is offline  
 
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Subscriber
 
colkerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,170
Garage
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Not meaning to hijack this thread but would it hurt anything to not use the clutch helper spring that hooks onto the pedal cluster?


TIA
Matt

colkerr is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Tech Contributor Gold
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Amish Wonderland Of Central PA
Posts: 4,909
Garage
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkerr View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but would it hurt anything to not use the clutch helper spring that hooks onto the pedal cluster?
TIA
Matt
No it will not hurt anything to remove the spring. I've experimented with it both ways and the spring helps with the pedal push, but not so much that that the pedal is too tough to push without it (by the average person.) My guess its that the spring probably gives a 5-10% reduction in pushing force vs no spring.

Also, removing the spring is advised by Centerforce if the clutch pedal stays on the floor during a high rpm shift using their weighted pressure plate. I have experienced this with 2 of there clutches and removing the spring does eliminate the issue without introducing other issues.

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip. Dart 434W NA, Victor heads, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear gear, on 93 octane pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]
dennis111 is offline  
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 AM
Subscriber
 
colkerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,170
Garage
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis111 View Post
No it will not hurt anything to remove the spring. I've experimented with it both ways and the spring helps with the pedal push, but not so much that that the pedal is too tough to push without it (by the average person.) My guess its that the spring probably gives a 5-10% reduction in pushing force vs no spring.

Also, removing the spring is advised by Centerforce if the clutch pedal stays on the floor during a high rpm shift using their weighted pressure plate. I have experienced this with 2 of there clutches and removing the spring does eliminate the issue without introducing other issues.


That's what I thought. I run the Centerforce clutch and have had issues.

colkerr is offline  
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Tech Contributor Gold
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Amish Wonderland Of Central PA
Posts: 4,909
Garage
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkerr View Post
That's what I thought. I run the Centerforce clutch and have had issues.
If the sticking pedal is the only problem that you have then you should be very happy with the clutch and its light pedal action even with the spring removed. I also have one in my old V8 GMC pickup and it serves me well there too.

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip. Dart 434W NA, Victor heads, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear gear, on 93 octane pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]
dennis111 is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 146
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Okay, I'll admit...I caved and too the car to a local shop. After making several adjustments I couldn't get it to work the way I thought it should work. The shop said my lower adjuster rod was too short. It was the one that came with the car and was rusted when I got it. I cleaned it up, painted it and reinstalled it because I wanted to keep the parts that came with the car on the car if possible. I bought a 66 Mustang part # C6ZZ-7521-E adjuster but didn't install it because it wasn't original. After they installed the C6ZZ-7521-E part, the transmission shifts really well now. The throw out bearing still makes noise. I think it might need to be replaced.
colkerr likes this.
65merccyclone is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 2,839
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

If you didn't buy the car new, then don't think all the parts that came with the car are the parts that were put on the car when new and are sacred. So many parts a wear items and service parts that are meant to be replaced over time. If the car works and drives better, then that should be a good thing.

1970 XL, 351W originally 2V, now 4V
670 Street Avenger, Edlebrock Performer intake, Comp XE262H, Flowtech Headers
70XL is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 146
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70XL View Post
If you didn't buy the car new, then don't think all the parts that came with the car are the parts that were put on the car when new and are sacred. So many parts a wear items and service parts that are meant to be replaced over time. If the car works and drives better, then that should be a good thing.

The guy I bought the car from got it with what he said was the original t10 and 289 in the car. He took both out and installed a Blueprint engines 306 and toploader trans. He sold the T10 and I have the 289 (rebuilt at a cost of $3500) in my garage. I'm not sure who took the 8 inch rear end out and replaced it with a 57-59 9 inch. You are correct, not many of these cars have the original parts in them and at the end of the day, if it works, all is good. This is my first classic car. I'm enjoying it even as I address things that come up. Thanks
65merccyclone is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Central West Virginia
Posts: 7,357
Re: Toploader barely shifts when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65merccyclone View Post
This is my first classic car. I'm enjoying it even as I address things that come up. Thanks
I'm glad you're enjoying the car, and realizing that a very large part of dealing with 50 year old technology... with 50 years of wear and age on it... is working on it. You have to enjoy playing with them as much as driving! lol When these old cars were new, they weren't exactly trouble free. Today's cars have us spoiled!

Good Luck, and enjoy!
n2omike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot hot hot. Bloodisblue Galaxie Pages 6 04-05-2016 08:11 AM
Hot hot hot Strokin83 Falcon Pages 17 07-12-2012 03:19 PM
Tight shifts versus soft shifts -- what makes for a longer lasting transmission? cdherman C4 Transmissions 4 10-16-2007 03:32 AM
Hot...HOt...HOT.... pasvorto Galaxie Pages 11 06-19-2006 10:17 AM
Anyone wanna buy some barely used 3.89 gears? deleted The Garage 0 04-03-2004 08:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome