Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum (https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/forumindex.php)
-   C4 Transmissions (https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/c4-transmissions/)
-   -   74 4x4 C4 Rebuild (https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/c4-transmissions/652797-74-4x4-c4-rebuild.html)

Pennyduke 02-24-2019 12:04 PM

74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Hey guys, I'm new here and in the process or rebuilding my C4 and I have a few questions if y'all don't mind. This C4 will be used in a Bronco with mostly street driving and some light trails. It's behind a 306 with a mild cam and is about 300 hp.
I have it disassembled and at the machine shop for cleaning. I bought a full rebuild kit with red Alto clutches. I already drilled the #9 lube hole, and return line passage all the way through to the rear bearing. to 3/16" inch. I also removed the spring and 2 check balls in the pump and plugged the hole. (all great info I got from this site)

Question #1 Do you still recommend drilling holes in the forward and reverse clutch pack housings? (Broader performance says they no longer do that but do not explain why)


Question #2 The clutch disks sent to me do not have the waffle pattern on the 4 disks for the Direct clutch. They are all smooth. Is this something I need to worry about?


Question #3 Is there any other upgrades I should be doing other than a Shift Kit?


Thanks for any help you can give. I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along. Thanks

gregaust 02-25-2019 12:38 AM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
I don't drill the forward drum.
The high/reverse can benefit from some small holes on the outer to let oil flow through . I have seen Broader mention tehy don't , i'd be curious as to the reason.

I have used both the smooth and waffle frictions . I do prefer the waffles based on principle but the smooth frictions work fine also. Have used the smooth Alto reds many times.

If you can drill the sungear or get a C5 sungear that puts some added oil to lube the gearsets.

Use a transgo 40-2 kit is a good choice.

See what intermediate servo you have . Some are better than others . Also ensure the front planet set is good . Most now are near worn out .. That should give you good service

Pennyduke 02-26-2019 07:17 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Is it possible to mix up the piston seals in the 2 drums? I have the forward clutch assembled and have .045 clearance. I started on the high reverse drum and don't feel confident that I used the correct o-ring in the forward drum piston. Are they the same size? Thanks again

galaxiex 02-26-2019 08:11 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennyduke (Post 1629577159)
Is it possible to mix up the piston seals in the 2 drums? I have the forward clutch assembled and have .045 clearance. I started on the high reverse drum and don't feel confident that I used the correct o-ring in the forward drum piston. Are they the same size? Thanks again

The outer rubber rings on the pistons are different.
I usually compare the outer piston diameter, one will be slightly larger in diameter.
Then compare the rubber rings, it's not hard to tell which goes where when you compare them.

The inner rubber rings;
The forward is an o-ring and the high reverse is a lathe cut, or square cut o-ring.

gregaust 02-26-2019 10:33 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxiex (Post 1629577161)
The outer rubber rings on the pistons are different.
I usually compare the outer piston diameter, one will be slightly larger in diameter.
Then compare the rubber rings, it's not hard to tell which goes where when you compare them.

The inner rubber rings;
The forward is an o-ring and the high reverse is a lathe cut, or square cut o-ring.

Yes exactly. The high drum outer seal is slightly larger diameter than the forward

gregaust 02-26-2019 10:34 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Also , .045" is too much clearance on the Forward . Need to set at the lower end of the specs , .025" -.030" is good

Pennyduke 02-27-2019 05:16 AM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
I do remember now that the forward was a O-ring (round cut) and the same size as the old one. (just a hair smaller). So I'm positive I have it right now.

I have a spare C4 that I took apart and put back together for practice before I started this one. I will see if I can get a thicker snap ring from it to tighten up the clearance.


Thanks for the help. You guys are awesome...

Pennyduke 02-27-2019 03:22 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
I used the 0.080" snap ring from the Belleville spring in the spare trans. Now I have 0.30 clearance in my new forward clutches.

If I buy a kit to add 1 friction disk to my High reverse clutch, What clearance should I shoot for? Thanks

gregaust 02-27-2019 11:25 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
5 frictions in the high/reverse around .040"

Pennyduke 03-02-2019 10:26 AM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
If I buy a Sun Gear & Sun Shell from a 1981-86 C5, Would it fit without any modifications? The one I'm looking at has 4 holes at 3/32 in the gear. Thanks again

gregaust 03-02-2019 10:38 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennyduke (Post 1629577225)
If I buy a Sun Gear & Sun Shell from a 1981-86 C5, Would it fit without any modifications? The one I'm looking at has 4 holes at 3/32 in the gear. Thanks again


Yes will swap straight in .

Pennyduke 03-09-2019 04:26 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Well I'm close to the end of my rebuild. Everything went smooth. I really took my time and made sure everything was correct. Before I started my endplay was 0.041. I used all new Thrust washers and now I'm getting 0.0.021. I have a #2 Thrust washer that is a little thicker that came with the kit. Am I ok with 0.021 or should I make it less?

I added the #9 cooling hole with a C5 Thrust washer and added a kit from Broader Performance to add 5 frictions to the High Reverse clutch.

I also added a C5 sun shell and gear with the 4 oil holes. Reamed the real cooling return line and took the 2 check balls and spring out of the pump.

The Shift Kit came today so I'll be doing that next.

Awesome site, Thanks everyone for getting me this far...

galaxiex 03-09-2019 07:15 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennyduke (Post 1629577483)
Well I'm close to the end of my rebuild. Everything went smooth. I really took my time and made sure everything was correct. Before I started my endplay was 0.041. I used all new Thrust washers and now I'm getting 0.0.021. I have a #2 Thrust washer that is a little thicker that came with the kit. Am I ok with 0.021 or should I make it less?

I added the #9 cooling hole with a C5 Thrust washer and added a kit from Broader Performance to add 5 frictions to the High Reverse clutch.

I also added a C5 sun shell and gear with the 4 oil holes. Reamed the real cooling return line and took the 2 check balls and spring out of the pump.

The Shift Kit came today so I'll be doing that next.

Awesome site, Thanks everyone for getting me this far...

.021" end play is fine.

Building stock trannys I used to go as tight as .007" .008" , but around .012" .015" is ideal.

gregaust 03-09-2019 10:44 PM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
So you did set the endfloat with the small thrust wsher on the end of the stator support?

Then select the #1 washer between the high drum and pump so it is a snug fit???

Just checking :) . If so then the .021" is fine

Pennyduke 03-10-2019 06:47 AM

Re: 74 4x4 C4 Rebuild
 
Yes and Yes, I followed a Post you did on how to set End float. My Thrust washer kit had 5 selective pump washers and I used one that was snug but not super tight.

Do you have ant tips on selecting the correct sealing rings on the Stator? It seems like a guessing game to me. I matched them up the best I could and it seems right but I don't have a good feeling about it. Thank You


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome