V8 starter motors - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 94
Question V8 starter motors

Any one know if the 289 and 302 use the same starter or if a 289 starter will work on a 302. 1965 Falcon standard 3 speed.


Thanks
motovate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Central West Virginia
Posts: 7,355
Re: V8 starter motors

In the early cars (pre 5.0 mustang), the automatic and manual transmission cars use different starters. A stickshift car needs a stickshift starter. You cannot use the auto trans or the later 5.0 units.

That being said, compact late model style starters are made for the older stickshift vehicles, via the aftermarket.

To get more precise advice, more detail about your specific combination would be helpful.

Last edited by n2omike; 11-26-2018 at 05:36 AM.
n2omike is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 94
Cool Re: V8 starter motors

Thanks - I have a 65 Falcon wagon -it came to me with a 302 in it but I have no idea what the 302 came out of- It is a 3 speed manual. PO said it might be a mustang motor & trans but they had no idea of year. I have paper work showing the flywheel ring gear was changed. Its basically a bottom of the list project except I need to start it up every once in awhile and move it around the yard. It cranked normally before. Now it is starting to not kick right in when the key is turned just whirrs the starter click it a few times until it engages and cranks like it should. Every once in a while it will get stuck in the gear and I have to put it in gear and get out and rock the car - then it works. I was thinking I'd go to Rock Auto and get an inexpensive starter but under 1965 there was only 289's and If I check 1969 for a 302 starter I wondered if there was any difference between 289 & 392. I haven't spent the time looking for engine numbers. Also I wonder if the Ford starter need shimming like Chevys???


Thanks. LBM





Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
In the early cars (pre 5.0 mustang), the automatic and manual transmission cars use different starters. A stickshift car needs a stickshift starter. You cannot use the auto trans or the later 5.0 units.

That being said, compact late model style starters are made for the older stickshift vehicles, via the aftermarket.

To get more precise advice, more detail about your specific combination would be helpful.
motovate is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Central West Virginia
Posts: 7,355
Re: V8 starter motors

Aside from minor running year changes, 289 and pre 5.0 302 engines are functionally identical. The only difference is the 302 has 1/8" more stroke. They take the same starters.

The 289/pre 5.0 302 engines use the Z-bar mechanical clutch linkage (not a cable like the 5.0) and use a 'Long' style pressure plate. Stickshift cars use a starter with a slightly shorter snout. If you try and use a starter for an automatic trans (or a 5.0 starter) the Bendix gear will not fully retract away from the flywheel when you let off the key.

For pre 5.0 cars, a manual trans car needs a manual trans starter. An automatic car needs an auto trans starter. I believe the auto trans cars can use the smaller, lighter 5.0 starter... but not us stick guys. (I tried a 5.0 starter on my stick car decades ago... didn't work. lol)

Good Luck!
n2omike is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 94
Re: V8 starter motors

Great - Thank you helps.


LBM



Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Aside from minor running year changes, 289 and pre 5.0 302 engines are functionally identical. The only difference is the 302 has 1/8" more stroke. They take the same starters.

The 289/pre 5.0 302 engines use the Z-bar mechanical clutch linkage (not a cable like the 5.0) and use a 'Long' style pressure plate. Stickshift cars use a starter with a slightly shorter snout. If you try and use a starter for an automatic trans (or a 5.0 starter) the Bendix gear will not fully retract away from the flywheel when you let off the key.

For pre 5.0 cars, a manual trans car needs a manual trans starter. An automatic car needs an auto trans starter. I believe the auto trans cars can use the smaller, lighter 5.0 starter... but not us stick guys. (I tried a 5.0 starter on my stick car decades ago... didn't work. lol)

Good Luck!
motovate is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Iowa
Posts: 936
Re: V8 starter motors

Sounds like a good place to do business with, it's to bad there were problems but they stood behind there work.👍

Iowan
"Obsolete is neat"

Iowan is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 94
Question Re: V8 starter motors





Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
Sounds like a good place to do business with, it's to bad there were problems but they stood behind there work.👍
motovate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are 65/66 V8 Mustang Springs same as 64/65 V8 Falcon ? waid786 Falcon Pages 3 07-03-2014 04:11 PM
V8 Maverick headers = V8 Falcon headers? Road Warrior Falcon Pages 5 03-03-2013 10:17 AM
how do install this damn starter gear on a ford folo through starter jasonmrenda Galaxie Pages 8 09-02-2012 04:33 AM
Toploader starter vs. Auto starter hgufrin All Ford Techboard 7 05-06-2012 08:06 PM
V8 Motor Mounts and other misc V8 Parts ronzob1 Wanted 0 02-01-2009 09:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome