64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember - Page 2 - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 299
I like the way you're going with the car. Also I think your correct in that doubtful the engine would raise the front off the ground, you're is milder version of mine (521, ported P.I heads, 9.75:1) and there's no way my fronts comming up. Granted I'm running highway gears but still doubtful. You're car could have had different engine combinations over the years however, it would maybe be helpful if you could contact the prvious owner.
As for the cut/crack it looks more like a crack than a cut to me. Kinda odd there is not much deformation. Maybe the car had some rough treatment of some sort in the pass. If it's tracking straight and not wearing out tires and bearings etc I'd weld it and brace it.
Just my 2 cents.
sgettin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgettin View Post
I like the way you're going with the car. Also I think your correct in that doubtful the engine would raise the front off the ground, you're is milder version of mine (521, ported P.I heads, 9.75:1) and there's no way my fronts comming up. Granted I'm running highway gears but still doubtful. You're car could have had different engine combinations over the years however, it would maybe be helpful if you could contact the prvious owner.
As for the cut/crack it looks more like a crack than a cut to me. Kinda odd there is not much deformation. Maybe the car had some rough treatment of some sort in the pass. If it's tracking straight and not wearing out tires and bearings etc I'd weld it and brace it.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks!

When is was pulled off the track, it had 4.10 gears, and supposedly a 2500 or so stall converter. It now has 3.73 gears. Still has spool, built as a lightweight clone, but with pro street style. It is in no way a show car, but honestly, that is about all it does now. And people gather every time I pull into one. I think simply because it really hasn't been done much. Everyone has the triple 5 chebbys and the 67,8 and 9 Camaros, but older Galaxies are far and few... except this one guy at the cruise night last friday that pulled in with a pro street Studebaker, one of the small square ones, blown SBC with dual quads. It was purtier and rarer than mine.

Last edited by WLD-OTZ; 10-16-2018 at 12:18 PM.
WLD-OTZ is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Here is a closer shot that came out pretty clear...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack close.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	155941  
WLD-OTZ is offline  
 
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Iowa
Posts: 954
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

It looks to me that there is rust on the bottom of the tube, I find it odd that it would crack in a strait line like that. You should try to pull it back together as it has spread apart.
I think I would do it with the motor removed.

Iowan
"Obsolete is neat"

Iowan is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 299
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLD-OTZ View Post
Thanks!

When is was pulled off the track, it had 4.10 gears, and supposedly a 2500 or so stall converter. It now has 3.73 gears. Still has spool, built as a lightweight clone, but with pro street style. It is in no way a show car, but honestly, that is about all it does now. And people gather every time I pull into one. I think simply because it really hasn't been done much. Everyone has the triple 5 chebbys and the 67,8 and 9 Camaros, but older Galaxies are far and few... except this one guy at the cruise night last friday that pulled in with a pro street Studebaker, one of the small square ones, blown SBC with dual quads. It was purtier and rarer than mine.
I've always liked the lines on your year of Galaxie for me what sets yours off in particular is the wide tires in back I wish I could get something like that under my 69 but not willing to cut it so I got what I got. I hear ya on the Camaros (and Mustangs) nice but they're all over the place. Last guy that talked to me at a stop light asked me what engine I have in my Charger LOL.
sgettin is offline  
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
It looks to me that there is rust on the bottom of the tube, I find it odd that it would crack in a strait line like that. You should try to pull it back together as it has spread apart.
I think I would do it with the motor removed.
It *looks* like I can raise the engine up off the motor mounts, and then jack under the crossmember and get it back in line. But, as they say, all battle plans are moot once the first shot is fired...
WLD-OTZ is offline  
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 299
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

After looking at the latest picture, from here it appears if you look at it as a puzzle you can see where the puzzle "pieces" fit together. That would indicate a split or crack. As to why it cracked so straight I'd guess, and it's just a guess, that has to do with the properties of the metal and/or how fast it was stressed to the point of failure. I'm not a metallurgist just a guess on my part.
Maybe check and see what's up with your motor mounts perhaps they aren't correct for the application? I'm not familiar with the front end on your year car but I know there is no way my 500hp 521 is going to cause that kind of damage.
Just some ideas until someone with more knowledge on the subject matter comes along.
sgettin is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Iowa
Posts: 954
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

All I can say is good luck, there a chance that you will fix it again.

Iowan
"Obsolete is neat"

Iowan is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 152
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Is the cross member only cut on one side or both? I would guess at one point the previous owner may have wanted to pull the oil pan with out pulling the engine...if its only one one side maybe he decided against after he got started.
wtfwsat is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 435
Garage
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLD-OTZ View Post
Here is a closer shot that came out pretty clear...
That looks like a break to me, not a cut.

WAG... metal fatigue.
galaxiex is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Thanks all!

I am looking at lifting the car in a way to relieve the stress off the front, see if it tries to realign itself, get it in a position that the ends come together, do a weld repair on it, sleeve it, and keep an eye on it. This car gets only driven maybe a couple hundred miles a year, but I would prefer not to have a catastrophic failure on one of those miles.
WLD-OTZ is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: center of the known universe--Puyallup, WA
Posts: 42
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

If you don't get that back together to the factory width, you are bound to find future problems down the road with your steering/front suspension. I've never seen a crack that clean before. Especially on a piece of frame that was built pretty tough in the first place.
martyk98 is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk98 View Post
If you don't get that back together to the factory width, you are bound to find future problems down the road with your steering/front suspension. I've never seen a crack that clean before. Especially on a piece of frame that was built pretty tough in the first place.

It turns out that appears to be factory... as in, the cross member is made in three pieces, then machine welded and sanded smooth. There is the evidence on the opposite side. I took it to a shop, and they put it on a lift, raised the center of the crossmember, and it eased almost together, about 1/16" equal gap all the way around. Using pretty good heat, the welder started tacking it together, going all the way around. That drew the sides very close together, and he ran a triple bead around the whole thing. getting good penetration.

From the looks of it, the original machine weld just didn't have good penetration.

Warranty?
70XL and PeteF like this.
WLD-OTZ is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Re: 64 Galaxie Split Engine Crossmember

Thanks all, for your advice. I saw it cracked there, and had a bit of a pucker moment. I didn't drive the car except to the shop, but after the repair, it took away that wallowing feel that the car had, that I had just put to bad shocks, weak springs and sway bar.
WLD-OTZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to split tranny from transfer case rlh44 Truck Forum 1 04-16-2004 04:33 AM
Split-Lock Header Bolts? allenman85 All Ford Techboard 0 12-21-2003 05:23 PM
Oil Pan Gasket Split while torquing down? growlin351w All Ford Techboard 6 09-08-2003 05:58 PM
Split Port Induction? HitmanKB All Ford Techboard 3 09-05-2003 11:24 PM
Question about split duration vs single pattern cams Moose All Ford Techboard 2 09-03-2002 02:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome