Not sure if this qualifies as the art of upholstery but it got the job done and there is some knowledge to be shared here. The sail panels in my Torino were all shot to hell. Sail panels sit between the headliner and the rear seat. You can see them below. I've never been concerned about concours quality interiors, a small tear here and there doesn't bother me but I do like the interiors of my project cars to be clean and consistent. The following pictorial will show you what I did to correct my problem by creating my own sail panels. Consider this an intro project to DIY upholstery.
Here is the area to be corrected. The old sail panels have been removed in this shot. This is the driver's side.
There are the two sail panels, you can see they are in bad shape
Some water damage in the back.
I picked up some very similar green vinyl and some very dense 1/8" thick cardboard from our local fabric shop. Here I am tracing the old sail panel shapes onto the new carboard.
The two sail panels ready to be cut out.
I'll take you through doing one sail panel. Step and repeat for the second. I rough cut a segment of the green vinyl, enough for one sail panel.
Here's the green vinyl. It was not an exact match in color or texture but it was good enough for my standards. Come on, it's just a 73 Torino guys.
Here I am hitting the first new sail panel with some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.
Then I firmly pressed the panel onto the rough cut vinyl.
Next, I traced around the panel shape about a 1/2" out.
Then cut the vinyl again.
The 3M adhesive remains in a tacky state for about 15 minutes so I applied a little more pressure after the second rough cut.
There may be a more "pro" technique for this but this works for me to get a good "wrap" around the corners.
A close up of one corner. I did this to all the corners before getting out the adhesive again.
I sprayed a light amount of adhesive on the back of the excess vinyl and wrapped the long segments first.
Once the long segments took hold, I worked on the corners.
There's the new panel wrapped and set next to the old panel.
The panels are held in place by outer trim and one "mechanical june bug" clip. I'm not sure what the proper name is of this style of fastener, but they are used on many 70's Fords to hold down door panels. This factory panel uses two small pieces of cardboard sandwiched together and glued to the back of the panel. I simply re-created my own. Here I am cutting out the old location in order to trace it onto the new panel for proper location purposes.
There it is removed and ready to serve as a template.
I set the old panel (template) onto the new panel.
And traced the location.
Next, I began cutting out the squares to make a sandwich that would hold the "mechanical june bug" clip.
There are the two peices.
The sandwich would need an accomodation for the clip. I needed to trace that location onto one of the squares.
After tracing, I cut out the segment.
With the clip installed, I sprayed adhesive on the segments and stacked them on top of each other.
I set the sandwiched peice into a vise and let it set for about 20 minutes.
Now, with the location traced onto the new panel, I shot some adhesive down...
And set the sandwich into position.
I used a weight to apply pressure for 20 minutes.
When dry I used a staple gun to give the sandwhich added incentive to stay in place.
The backside of one finished panel.
The frontside of one finished panel.
Installing the panel was a snap.
The finished product.