Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Re: 1976 Mustang II MPG
Well my biggest problem with turning this into a Monroe Handler is that no one sells that body kit, and from reading various forums and searching the internet like mad I have only found this much info:
The complete body kit consisted of the following.
(1) Left & right front fenders that extended down (further than a stock fender) in front of the tires to connect with the front air dam. The fenders, as well as all the other pieces, were beautifully made of a very thick fiberglass (not racing thinness as I've seen in other posts) that was gel-coated in black. None of the body pieces were fragile, these pieces were solid and well made but needed some trimming to fit properly The fenders were bolted into place using the same underhood bolts that held the stock fenders
(2) A massive front air dam with 2 brake cooling ducts, one on each side, and a center radiator duct replaced the front bumper and its associated hardware. There was probably close to a 50 pound weight savings alone in using the air dam in place of the stock hardware. The air dam bolted to the front flanges that had been fabricated into the front fenders by Maier Racing. I added additional support rods to both the front air dam and sides of the fenders, that were directly in front of the tires, to better secure the pieces and minimize any vibrations.
(3) Left & right rear fenders that incorporated both forward & rearward brake cooling ducts and an intergral rear spoiler (actually the right and left ends of the spoiler). The rear exhaust duct was huge, which gave the car the IMSA race car look. The stock fenders had to be cut a considerable amount to increase the wheel well opening, since I would be installing a Centerline wheel that measured 15" dia. x 10" wide (about 1" wider than the Monroe show car). Once the inner and outer wheel well was cut, the two pieces needed to be welded back together again, just like stock manufacturing practices. The Maier fenders were riveted to the body and glassed over to smoothly meet the stock body (boy, did I spend alot of hours and elbow grease doing this). The left fender had a cutout for the gas cap and filler opening that I slightly modified by drilling a small hole in the cavity to allow water to drain out instead of possibly into the filler neck!
(4) A rear valence panel mounted directly below the tail lights. This piece could only be riveted to the car body directly below the tail lights which made it the only poorly designed piece from a functional standpoint, in my opinion. This piece should have had a diffuser built into it so that the air exiting from under the car wouldn't apply so much force to this piece. This piece broke off once because it block the flow of air coming from under the car. I eventually added supports to the lower edges of the piece and never had another issue.
(5) An extremely tall rear spoiler that mounted to the hatch. This spoiler was so heavy that the hatch struts had to be replaced at fairly short interval, or a stick had to be used to hold the hatch up. This was another area where alot of elbow grease was required in order to have a seamless transition between the lid and spoiler. Also, the ends of the center spoiler had to be trimmed to not rub the end caps, which are on the fenders, when the hatch was closed.
This is going to probably require heavy fabrication as no one seems to be selling a body kit for the Monroe Handler... Anyone with any information on the Monroe Handler body kits would be a great help!
1979 Ford Bronco - 351M auto
1979 Ford Ranger Lariat - 351W auto