The first track outing of 2016 is over and the T&T gave me a lot of new PB's. Best ET was 10.21, best 1/4 MPH was 132.95, and the best 60'er was 1.445, all being PB.s. I was expecting a little more out of the first 2, but the 3rd one blew me away and these were last years slicks that didn't seem to hook worth a crap then.
Off the trailer I got this timeslip (318H):
It felt good in the upper rpm's but needless to say, I was extremely disappointed with the results. Comparable with the old motor in the hot August heat. A quick check of the plug wires revealed why--apparently #8 wasn't fully attached on the plug and had fell off.
The second run was much more fulfilling and representative of what the other good runs of the day were:
On the 3rd round I upped the timing to 33* from 31* and lost a tenth:
4th round I put the timing back to 31* and took a solo run:
5th round I flubbed a shift:
Too bad as the 60'er was great for the car.
6th round was uneventful:
7th round gave the best ET:
8th and final round gave the best MPH:
Some of the incrementals don't make sense (IE 126.56 in the 1/8th??) but overall there is a recognizable pattern.
Obviously I need to work on running a Sportsman's tree (I'm Protree trained), but that's OK because I was enjoying the ride from start to finish. The trip down the track seemed like a blurr as the car accelerated much harder than before. As I got comfortable with it I shifted at 7500 rpm's. I didn't play around much with the 60'er as I forgot to take the laptop to download the clutch data to see how the power was being transmitted to the ground. I also forgot to grind down the spark plug socket that I use at the track so that it fit the new heads/headers. I did manage to pull 1 plug after a few runs and it was white, showed brown at the base, and had no detonation spots on it from running straight 93 octane Sunoco pump gas.
My impressions of the car is that the 2nd gear burnouts were crisp and didn't lug the motor down like before. The front of the car came up during each launch, but not as high as I thought it would nor as high as it has been in the past. It didn't matter as most of the runs I had decent traction off the line and that should improve further with a little work. Gear shifts came quick and the finish line went by fast. The suspension work I did over the winter paid off as the car did not act the least bit hairy on the top end, like it did most of last year. It was a smooth straight ride down the middle of the lane. Braking in the shutdown was also smooth as I had upgraded the rear brakes to 11 2 1/4" drums from the factory 10 x 1 3/4". I'll detail the swap in a later post.
There are some improvements to be made, such as getting a handle on the clutch and possibly buying the carb that Duane suggested for my build. I reused the old 950HP which is about 830cfm to see how it would do. I'd say it didn't do too badly using last year's tune but I know it is pretty much maxed out. I would also like to see how she would do with a fresh pair of slicks, which should happen before our big Prostick Memeorial Day weekend. My overall goal is to tap the 9's occasionally, but not enough to warrant needing a full cage.
After the final run I pulled over on the return road and took this short video of the sound of the exhaust (1 7/8" tube headers, 3.5" collectors, 3.5" pipes, and 3.5" race bullets):
This is the exhaust used in the above video:
Can't wait to check the car out before the next outing which hopefully be Friday (looks like rain) or Saturday this coming weekend. If I must wait until Saturday, I'll more than likely head to the other local track which is typically .1 faster for me.