Holiday's are over, Son went back to school and me back to my shop. Got back to work on Comet. Have the driver's side subframe connector fitted and next step is welding the 2 pieces together. The top piece will slide inside the lower piece. This way the seam will be inside the car, and underneath the car it will have a nice formed edge. I coated the inside of top piece with POR and did the outer sides with weld thru primer. The lower part I POR'd the inside bottom and weld thru on the inside uprights, then drilled the holes for the spot welds.
After coatings dried I slide the pieces together and spot welded down the sides. Here is finished connector.
Placed connector into car and started to make templates for floor boards and such. Going to wait till I get almost all the pieces made before I weld anything in. First section I need to make is a extension for bottom of torque box.
I made the piece so it also fills back of torque box and will have a flange at top for floor board to weld to.
Also put a bead in it, just don't like the look of flat sheet. here is what it looks like fitted onto car. When welding in this will be welded solid so bottom of torque box will be one piece out to the seam with frame rail
Next started on the inside floors. Pulled the connector out and made a template for the floor under rear seat. Didn't cut the old floor out yet this way the poster paper can lay flat on what is left of old floor, also gives me some reference points. This will give me a better fit.
Used the template to cut the piece out of some 18 gauge. Put some beads in it and then did the radius, and then bent the flanges.
I marked the beads on the template and fitted in to car to make sure none of the beads would interfer with welding/fit before putting beads in the metal
The rear floor now is 2 pieces with the connector going thru the middle. I made templates to fit with other pieces in place.
Cut the pieces out of sheet metal
Did the bead's, radius, and flanges to form the 2 floor pieces.
Here are the 3 rear pieces of floor fitted into car with the connector
Still have a little tweaking but next I will weld these parts into place. While the car was level I put in the rear spring and measured from spring to inner quarter panel lip.
Have 16.5 inches of room for width. Hoping to fit a 29x15 tire in the new space