Well I knew it when I bought the car....
the stock 28 spline rear end had to go. One axle had a lil wobbly and the bearings were rough.
I'd bought the car December 2012 and started saving money.
Only thing I did really in 2013 was in my last update in this forum of me carpeting and building the interior:
I also mention there where I rebuilt the front end as I had the parts around. Of course rebuilding the front end made the rear feel even looser and crappier. I almost didn't like driving the car due to the loose feeling out back.
So in November 2013 I pulled the rear out of the car, I had most of the parts on hand and ready to go.
Ok so parts list thus far:
Heavy Duty Gas shocks from Greg Donohoe
31 Spline Moser Axles
Brand new 5 leaf Heavy Duty leaf springs (actually has 6 springs. Either way it's the 406/427 Leaf springs) and install kit from Eaton Spring
Gear Vendors for a c6, this was a rebuilt unit pulled from a junkyard (sure hope it works)
Brand new third member, Detroit Tru-Trac, 4.30:1 rear gears, Strange N-Case
I contacted Brent Lykins from Lykins Motorsports for the third member and axles... he is a good friend, and an excellent businessman even responding to my emails on Sundays and New Years Eve :P
Pulled Rear and got to sanding/painting:
First issue I ran into (of many) is that the old spring pads were different than what my shocks required. The old ones had a bolt welded into them to use some other type of shocks. Certainly I trust Greg Donohoe to provide the best stuff for a Galaxie so I thought "ohh no, I'm have to cut and grind a lot on these to make them work."
Just on a whim I looked for this part on Ebay and found freakin perfect set for $15. They were so nice, it just seemed like fate.
The old spring pads:
Next came hours and hours of cleaning as 50 years of crap builds up:
more cleaning and painting:
I'm crazy and even took the brakes apart... because shoot, who doesn't want freshly painting brake backing plates? While doing this it looked like one shoe had a crack so I got a new set of shoes as well.
Sadly around this time I had to go back to work. Was Thanksgiving day.... I got home again December 27th and started back to work:
The next problem arose..... The bearings on the new axles were pressed all the way to the stop whereas the bearings on the old axles were pressed "close" to the stop. The measurements I sent off were for the stops. oops! totally my fault. The passenger side was fine due to being able to be pushed in further, but the driverside was 5/16ths too long. After talking to Brent, I decided to just cut the axle. I did so, it looked very good, I cleaned it up and slid in just fine so I was happy with it.
I was previously asked to post the axle measurements for this car, I still may but due to me measuring 5/16ths off, I'd feel kinda bad if someone ran into problems with it.
All ready to slide in:
One more pic cuz it's sexy:
All in, looks good, ready to install Gear Vendors so i can measure and order a driveshaft. This is the c6 tailshaft that needs to be removed.
In case you wanted to see, the Crites c6 adapter plates are just 1/8inch plate with a few holes drilled in them:
Gear Vendors ready to rock:
Gear Vendors unit installed:
Now problem number 3. Right where the gear vendors meets the GV tailhousing it hits the floor board. It looks like I need another 1/4inch to fit the stock cross member and adapter plates. I considered options that evening, I considered many including putting the crossmember underneath the mounts and using spacers, etc etc.
I didn't like any of these ideas so I drank a few beers and considered what I could live with. Driveline angles are also going to be an issue and need to be considered.
Woke up in the morning, went to the local steel yard and bought some 1x2 rectangular stock. Cut the bottom piece, drilled mount holes, mounted it to the Tailhousing. Jacked the trans to several levels and checked driveline angles. I ended up getting pretty close to what I could live with as far as angles go. This did require removing the gear vendors and doing a little hammer work. Luckily the floor pan is under a seat so it will most likely never be seen.
Anyhow, spent a few hours installing, test fitting, removing, making adjustments and ended up with my own transmission cross member.
It isn't perfect.... but I'm proud of it.
This got me to where I could order the driveshaft from Inland Empire Driveline.
Ended up ordering a 4inch aluminum driveshaft 45.5inches long, 1350 ends.
I hope it shows up before I go back to work (I wanna drive dammit!)
Next steps, I need to fill the gear vendors with fluid and make a "homemade" engagement method as I currently do not have a wiring harness for it.
After I install the driveshaft and go for a ride, make sure the gear vendors works, I will go ahead and get the electronics kit for it. I also need to address the speedometer issue as I currently do not have one that'll work with the gear vendors. Most likely I'll need to deal with this when I get home next time, which is good.... I need to make some more freakin money :P
Ohh, the old exhaust was NOT going to work with a 4inch diameter driveshaft and the gearvendors, so I cut all of it out. So still got a lil more work to be on the road legally :P
Hope you enjoyed, and all the pictures didn't lock up your computer.