Well, I got my rotors and pads, strut rod brackets, and all of my rod ends from Speedway as well (fastest shipping EVER) today. I'm still having some trouble with my welder...it's intermittently shorting the arc, then catches up. The inconsistency made it really difficult to get a clean bead, but I'm still positive I got good penetration and that it'll hold.
Anyhow, here's a few pictures of what I got done:
First I welded the strut rod brackets to the LCA's. They're actually lower coilover mounts (much like the ones I ground off the top). They work nicely for my purposes though. You can see better the angle that I fabbed into the LCA as well.
I'm not really one for bling lol, but they ARE a bit lighter than stock, came with good ceramic pads, and they actually cost me less than stock replacement rotors and pads would have.
This is the drop steering adapter from Speedway. It's a VERY nice piece, and even without the extra aluminum piece I ordered, it probably would have been fine. That support piece gives me a substantial comfort cushion though, which is nice. For those of you that didn't know, it seems that a Mustang II/Pinto tie rod (that's the application for these drop adapters) is the same shank size, taper, and length as a SN95. I thought that was interesting.
And this is the result of all the hard work. This is the LCA at full droop, with the LCA rod end mounted in what's very nearly the position they will be when I'm done (remember those little holes next to my white locate marks in my previous pictures?). My cross bolts for the LCA mount fit through them perfectly. Here you see the reason for the huge angle on the end of the LCA. Without it the ball joint would bind before the strut hit full extension. Too much of that and I'm positive it would snap.
All in all, I'm pretty confident that this setup will work well. All of my measurements have worked out as I hoped they would, which is a good sign lol. Tomorrow I hope to get my passenger side caught up to the driver's side. At that point I'll get some measurements for my swedged tubes...5/8" for the steering arms, and 1/2" for the strut rods. I may end up ordering some 5/8" rod ends with 1/2" swivels though, to replace the strut rods. I'm pretty sure the 1/2" swedged tube is strong enough (it's actually 5/8" tube with 1/2" ends), but I kind of don't like the look of the shank on the 1/2" rod end.
Anyhow, that's that for today. It's nice to finally see this front end starting to come together!