So, fried_daddy and I have been talking for a few days now about rebuilding our transmissions, and we have both decided to take the plunge... well he dove in head first lol, I'm more wading it slowly with a life jacket on haha.
If you haven't seen his work yet, go here: https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/gala...ld-thread.html
Anyway, my transmission has had this problem since I bought it, every winter when it starts getting cold my tranny starts acting up. It takes a few seconds to grab 1st first thing in the morning or if the car is cold in general, when it does finally grab it acts up for the next 5 minuets until the transmission warms up. After doing some research I've come to the conclusion that the seals and what have you are leaking when the tranny is cold. And it appears to be getting worse.
I've been trying to track one to rebuild down for a few weeks now (I'm a wuss- don't want to tear down my only transmission that I know somewhat works and risk not having one at all!). Well a light went off in my head a few days ago and I called the guy I got the script letters from who was parting out his old 66' four door. The ONLY thing he had left was the tranny its the right one! So I drove up to VA and picked it up a few days ago.
The car had been sitting in the woods for years, he said he knew the tranny worked because he got the car to fire and drove it out of the woods. It appeared to be in good shape, just very dirty and oily, which is good, keep it from rusting and bolts from seizing.
So I starting taking it apart last night, I'm going to get into the guts of it this weekend and go from there. I haven't ordered any parts yet, to be honest I'm waiting for fried_daddy to get all his parts in to make sure they are all right before I start ordering them lol.
Here are some pics:
How I got it, after spraying it at a car wash.
Little bracket keeping the torque converter from falling out.
So this is the first transmission I've ever messed with. I was really expecting the bell housing to weight a ton. So once I got the bolts off I grabbed a rubber mallet to knock it off. One swing and it scared the **** out of me. That thing went flying across my garage haha. So in case you didn't know- they don't weigh much.
Next to go was the dipstick tube... Now at this point I have loaded and unloaded this thing 5 times, and placed it standing up on the bell to spray it off... NEVER one single drop of transmission fluid came out. I taught it was safe to assume that it was empty. Nope. Took the tube out an it just started pouring out. Luckily I had it on a pan, it stopped just before cresting over the side of the pan.
You can see the mess here. Got the tail housing off. and much to my surprise it was a lot cleaner inside that I was expecting. It may be typical that they are this clean, but a 50 yr old car that has been in the woods for god knows how long, I was really expecting it to be gunked up and full of metal flakes.
Once all that was off, it was manageable enough for me to move it, clean up, and move over to my workbench and off the ground.
Took the pan off to see what the inside is looking like, and again- not that bad looking...
And that's where it sits for now. I'm hoping to pick up a parts washer today - seems like a good opportunity to go ahead and buy one. I hope to get into the guts of it this weekend and start ordering parts next week.
Special thanks to fried_daddy lol!