Steering was a bit of a pain. My steering was a major concern for me redoing this this car. The steering box was loose. Way too loose. Scary loose. I wanted something not only better than wornout 1965 steering I wanted something better than new 1965 steering. I wanted a power rack & pinion unit. The rack and pinion actually went in easy it was the column that was hard. Marc from Unisteer was a nice guy & we worked through it all. Seems my car is not the same as the car they made the kit for. Iím thinking their care had the column swapped some time in its past because the instructions mention rag joints & the shaft for my column was a bit long as initially installed. Instructions are also a little less than clear sometimes as well. One of things I wanted to do is replace the bearing at the top of the column. This is not included in the kit & the bearing is unavailable anywhere. Also just so you know 1965 Mustang Bearings donít fit I tried one.
So issue one. It looked like the instructions say the bearing goes to the top of the column. Iím like how the hell does this fit?
I called Marc & he explained it went in the bottom. I bought a new plastic race spacer thingie from Macís for the shaft and packed the $hite out of the bearing with new grease. The bearing then would not press fit in the bottom. It flat fell out. Solution was drill a hole in the bottom of the column sleeve, dimple the bearing housing, make a set screw, tap the column housing, and go to town fitting it all up. I also slathered it down with locktite on the screw and the external housing for the bearing so it wouldnít fall out.
Issue #2 the steering wheel was too far away from the column and I had the column shifted all the way up. Marc sent some spacers & said I may need to cut the shaft too. I dinít need to cut the shaft & the spacers worked (sort of).
Issue #3 was that Iíve always been taught to keep u-joints in phase. This doesnít work with this kit. If they are in phase they bind. I put them 90į out & Problem solved.
Issue #4. While the spacers worked the steering wheel still wasnít right. This wasnít a unisteer issue (or I donít think it is) I think it is more a grant issue or perhaps a grant & unisteer compatibility issue. The thing is the Horn contacts were too far way and the turn signals didnít come off as the wheel was turned. I added a 3rd spacer but it was then too close to the wheel and the turn signal locked up the rotation of the wheel. I removed the 3rd spacer and then modified the adapter to let the horn contacts work. The turn signals will just have to be turned off manually. At least until someday in the future if I decide to upgrade to a tilt column.
Grant adapter & washer I used. Notice two notches added already to clean turn signal roll pins. (didnít bother leaving them on when they didnít work)
Washer/spacer modified and contanct ring separated from hub.
Fully done glued & wires have silicone on them to insulate from hub contact.
Grant Steering wheel fully installed on newly painted column. Also shown is gauge panel pained to match dash and new AutoMeter electrical Traditional Chrome gauges to replace crappy Autoguage mechanical ones that didnít work. I also repainted the glove box, the ashtray, and did some touch up on the dash.
This just clears the factory cross member. It clears though and since it adds a second cross member a little behind it, it should add to the stiffness.
Power Steering pump installed and lines.
If it doesnít have zip ties on it, itís not a hotrod.
Things still left to do: Drivers side rear brake, run brake lines, bleed lines, new fuel line, buy battery, install battery box, install battery cables, install driveshaft & exhaust, Paint 3Ē of sub-frame connector on each side with undercoating, install strut braces, terminate sender wires on gauges, change leaking thermostat, make then paint & and install monte-carlo bar, install sound deadener, paint & install kickpanels, order & install sound system, order, order & then install new carpet & trunk mat, install new pedals, install shifter, change door locks, reinstall door card handles and seats. After that it is a trip to the alignment shop. Then I drive it a bit & shake out the bugs and fix those. After that new weather-stripping will be ordered & then a trip to the glass shop for them to install all the bits that require glass removal. Guess I won't have this in the alignment shop by April...