Car leans, driver\'s side is 1 inch lower than passenager\'s side - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Car leans, driver\'s side is 1 inch lower than passenager\'s side

I need some help. I changed the front shocks thinking this was the cause of my 73 Mach 1 leaning to one side, but its not. I am afraid that the frame may be bent, there is no physical evidence. Does anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Get the fat chick out of the car.... LOL

Check the height of the rear springs at the shackles for and aft and compare the height.
Let us know the #'s

FE
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:11 PM

Well...I have never had it happen on any of the many 71 and 72's I have owned...but I did have a similar problem in my 69 Cougar. She had a bit of lean to the passenger side...turned out to be a broken rear leaf spring, so maybe give a look see under there and check it out. Is it leaning equally, both front and rear, or is one end leaning more then the other? if the back is lower, might be the leafs, if it's the front...could be the front sub-frame is bent, shock tower is rusting out, or just some previous owners accident that has been hidden quite well. I worked in a body shop once...I was surprised to find more body filler found on subframes than on the bodies...when in a dark area and painted black (or covered with undercoating) it hides damage remarkably well. Good luck on finding it!
Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humphrey351 on 4/17/06 3:13am ]</font>

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again. I did check the height at the shackles and found the drivers side forward is 11" and the rear 16 and three quarter inches. Passenger side forward is 11" and the rear is 15 and three quarter inches. It looks like there's my inch. I also noticed that the passenger side had 2 more leafs than the drivers side. Any idea why someone would put additional leafs? You guys are great!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
On 2006-04-16 13:44, pawsond wrote:
Thanks again. I did check the height at the shackles and found the drivers side forward is 11" and the rear 16 and three quarter inches. Passenger side forward is 11" and the rear is 15 and three quarter inches. It looks like there's my inch. I also noticed that the passenger side had 2 more leafs than the drivers side. Any idea why someone would put additional leafs? You guys are great!

Traction at the drags??? Or maybe one was already busted and they replaced it with what was cheap or at hand. Stu
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

To make stiffer springs for drag racing. The engine torques to the pass side as does the rear tires. Usuaully you'll find a little stiffer spring in the front driver side due to more weight on that side under the hood and it gets used more. Same as why most of the door dents are on the passenger side of the car. The other driver's door opens against it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Don't forget to toss out the fat chick...

FE
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in