Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

67 cowl hood

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BabyBolt 
#1 ·
i have a 67 coupe with a 351w in it. i bought it in primer, and took it to a body shop to be painted, i bought a 3in. cowl hood because i had clearance issues, while i was away at college my body man painted it but he had problems, he could only open the hood a foot before the hood hit the cowl panel. so they worked the till they couldn't (their is a seam) and it still didnt open any better. so unfortunately without getting my opinion he attached the hood with hood pins at all four corners. which by all means looks sweet but it is a pain every time i want to get under the hood because it takes two people. the part that pisses me off the most is i paid over $500 for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've have played with the thought of trying lowering mounts, low clearance air cleaners, and such but i don't know if it will be enough, before i bought the cowl hood, i was trying to decide between the cowl hood and buying a repro hood, cutting a hole in it for the air cleaner and putting a boss 429 scoop over it, anybody have pics of a car like this, anybody wanna buy a sonic blue hood?

any suggestions are highly appreciated!!!
I am trying to enjoy my freshly painted mustang but it is hard with this annoying issue
please help!!

See less See more
#3 ·
A good body shop should have been able to get the hood to work correctly. Almost all hoods are going to have issues the the wonderful thing about fiberglass is its easy to work with! I am currently putting a 3" cowl hood on a 65 fastback i have the same issues, first i cut the lip off the back and trimmed the extension part of the hood cowl so it cleared the cowl on the car when opening. As of today im still going to have to trip about 1/2" off the back of the cowl cause it will still hit if someone opens the hood up and pushes up flexing it over the hinges...id rather be safe then sorry and not have to repaint so the 1/2" is no big loss to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.