HELP: oil filter threads replacement - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

HELP: oil filter threads replacement

ok the last two days put the motor back together and into the car with the trans all mated up and etc. i start buttoning things up and i want to cover up yet another open hole in the motor and i want to put the oil filter on and it won't screw in.

i looked under the car and i see the oil filter threads cracked. the guys at the machine shop must of applied all kind of pressure against it or something. i am hoping this plug can be removed and replaced inside the car because i went thru hell forsome reason this time around to get the motor mounts/trans to line up in the holes.

i looked in my old rebuild book and it has pictures of those threads being replaced but it has the one where you can turn them off with a huge socket. but the one i have isn't like that at all, it looks like the middle part comes out.

i've also tried to hammer that crack back to remotely get a filter on but no dice. if if was able to do it, i was going to get a oil filter relocation kit and just use that but nope.

any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Re: HELP: oil filter threads replacement

ok the last two days put the motor back together and into the car with the trans all mated up and etc. i start buttoning things up and i want to cover up yet another open hole in the motor and i want to put the oil filter on and it won't screw in.

i looked under the car and i see the oil filter threads cracked. the guys at the machine shop must of applied all kind of pressure against it or something. i am hoping this plug can be removed and replaced inside the car because i went thru hell forsome reason this time around to get the motor mounts/trans to line up in the holes.

i looked in my old rebuild book and it has pictures of those threads being replaced but it has the one where you can turn them off with a huge socket. but the one i have isn't like that at all, it looks like the middle part comes out.

i've also tried to hammer that crack back to remotely get a filter on but no dice. if if was able to do it, i was going to get a oil filter relocation kit and just use that but nope.

any help would be appreciated.[/quote]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

any input guys?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 PM

You have at least four options with a damaged non-hex filter boss. Normally, there is a special tool to remove them, but I use a 3/4" nut split lengthwise, that I clamp (Vice Grips) really firmly to screw them out and in. See below.

If you can't get the split nut on due to the damage, option two is to weld a nut to the boss to get it out and use the split nut to install a new one from the Ford parts counter, machine shop, or the boneyard.

Option three is to hack a screwdriver slot in the end of the boss and use a fashioned tool (chisel, scrap metal piece, etc.) to remove it.

Option four is to use a large 'easy-out' or equivalent on the inside surface, such as a cold chisel or an actual broken screw extractor, that can be driven-in to get a bite, and then wrenched out.

If you're lucky, the new one will be the hex type and can be installed without fuss. It's odd the machinist didn't fix that issue, as they should be removed during the rebuild to clean the passages thoroughly.

Good luck!
David

-=≡ If it was easy everyone would do it ≡=-
[size=1]HotShotsJava.com Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbo ,WA fair trade and 100% organic. Voted best espresso and coffee![/size]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

i appreciate your help alot. i never thought about possibly welding a nut on there. i also called the machine shop that did the motor and they said i must use a square easy out and use penetrate oil to easy it out as well. i will try this method cuz it doesn't require me trying to find a guy at the hobby shop who knows how to weld. and the round easyouts wouldn't work.

the new one i got (purchased last night on ebay) is the OEM same one. where can i get one of those special nuts to install the new one?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XolieX View Post
... where can i get one of those special nuts to install the new one?
The hardware store. Just buy a nut like in the picture and split it on one side with a cutoff wheel, hacksaw, whatever...

David

[size=1]HotShotsJava.com Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbo ,WA fair trade and 100% organic. Voted best espresso and coffee![/size]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

whats that split really for?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XolieX View Post
whats that split really for?
Well, it allows the nut to be squeezed smaller to grip the threads, and then released to remove it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in