Finally started my project.. - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Finally started my project..

As the title states, I put the car under the knife.. my goal is to fit a set of 325/50-15 drag radials (28x12.0).. I know everyone has there own opinion on suspension setups and I know there are going to be those that wont agree with my setup, but its my car... with that being said here is what I am doing.. I moved the leaf springs to the inside of the frame and hung the axle 3/4" rearward from stock on floaters and ladder bars.. I sectioned 6" out of the bottom half of the fuel tank to make it fit between the springs and look somewhat stock.. I had to remove the factory frame rails from the just above the axle (used the bumpstops as reference) and fabricated new rails that are parallel instead of flaring out, this netted me 15" of total clearance between the frame rails and fender... my camera is broke so I dont have any pictures, but I managed to fit a larger than anticipated tire on the car... my original goal was a 275/60-15, but my buddy has a set of 325's and he was like lets try these, so guess what..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Re: Finally started my project..

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanP View Post
I know everyone has there own opinion on suspension setups and I know there are going to be those that wont agree with my setup, but its my car...
there ya go!!! sounds like you got it figured out, best of luck with everything holding together

William
68 Coupe
C4
3.55's/Trac-Lok
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Subscriber

Sounds like a killer project and can't wait to see pics. What kinda car is it? May wanna post in the "Mak'n Progress" forum. Keep the progress roll'n!
DJ

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Well lets get her done then. So what neck of the woods are you in? Might be someone to lend a hand, or strong back and weak mind, if you need some.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks all... it is a 66 coupe... goal for the winter is to finish the rear of the car.. in the spring I want to start on the front which is going to get a MII setup to make room for some sort of 385 based powerplant... two thoughts are a procharged 514 or a N/A 557...

P.S.
Dacofa... Im a little too far away, Im in Missouri..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanP View Post
thanks all... it is a 66 coupe... goal for the winter is to finish the rear of the car.. in the spring I want to start on the front which is going to get a MII setup to make room for some sort of 385 based powerplant... two thoughts are a procharged 514 or a N/A 557...

P.S.
Dacofa... Im a little too far away, Im in Missouri..
Very interested in seeing some pictures. I will do a minitub on mine eventually as well. I love the idea of riding around with 325's on the back.

6.19 @112 1/8 mile; [email protected] 1/4 mile Texas Motorplex Fun Ford weekend 2012
NEW COMBO: 5 Speed is gone. 4R70W with BE controller.E85, solid roller 13:1 compression.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Loosewolf, I am about an hour west of St. Louis..

Well I have pictures now with no way to host them.. I had the camera fixed and now the computer crapped out.. The only internet connections I have are here at work and on my phone..

I know I stated earlier that I was going to have to redo the rear framerails, I was wrong.. WOOHOO.. it turns out that all I have to do is clearance the rear of the framerail.. I still have to make new mounts for the rear of the spring but I would rather do that than have to make complete new rails..

Here is a little on the process.. started by cutting the inner wheelhouse out completely.. then cut everything out all the way to the edge of the framerail.. I took my 4' level and plumbed down from the edge of the fender lip to establish where the sidewall of the tire would be.. once again the tire/wheel configuration is 325/50-15 BFG drags on 15x10 6.5bs prostars, I have a 9" versaille rearend.. I was suprised that all I am going to remove from the rearend is 1/2" (each side), also moving the rearend back 3/4" doesnt seem to be enough, so Im going to try 1"..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Contributor

That sounds really cool, I too would love to see pictures when you are able to post them. Take lots of pictures as you are able to, the more the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in