1970 Mustang Replacing my Pillar Post Moldings Part I - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

1970 Mustang Replacing my Pillar Post Moldings Part I

Pics are on locate:
1970 Mustang – Replacing my Pillar Post Moldings Part I Average Guy's Car Restoration, Mods and Racing

If you searched and found or followed my posts on restoring the dash-board of my '70 Mustang, then you might recall my planning/scheduling issues.
As I was taking the old dash pad off, I realized that I hadn't order the plastic pillar molding. When I finally called a few Mustang parts supplies places I found them all to be out of stock and they had to put them on back order. They did finally come in and it's taken me a bit to actually find the time to replace them. Well, this long 4th of July week, I'm at least going to get started. (I have also do the valve cover gaskets as well.)
So here again is what I'm replacing:

Yeah..had to get creative to keep them on.

Pretty?

Now the new molding comes in any color you want as long as that's black. You'll need to paint the proper color. If you have the specs for you car you'll easily find the interior color and places like National Parts Depot or Mustang's Unlimited have the paint for the job. I had to do this with a replacement armrest. Which was horrible - replicas all came square and my Mustang's armrests are rounded and have the overstuffed look like a leather sofa or overstuffed chair. (I ended up pick up a use one in good shape and painted that..I think it was tan originally.)
Oh..sorry...I wandered!!!
The first think you have to do is prepare the plastic for holding paint. The guys at National Parts Depot recommend SEM 38353 Plastic/Leather Prep. I've used it and it seems to do the trick. Pretty simple....Spray surface, pay attention to recessed areas, wipe with clean cloth. Use some gloves if you have office worker hands and put out the cigar while you using this stuff.

SEM 38353 Plastic/Leather Prep

Sticking with the SEM brand I purchased a can of Universal Color Coat. I used this paint on the aforementioned armrest and it lives up to the "Flexible Coating" label. My Mustang's interior is VP-15945 Vermillion.

SEM Universal Color Coat

So next up I'll do the prep and the paint.

Molding

Thanks for reading.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Re: 1970 Mustang Replacing my Pillar Post Moldings Part I

The only problem is the new piller trim from NPD is fiberglass. They are very thin and dimensionally are not very accurate when compared to the original injection molded pieces. Please contact me if you or anyone has a right side original ford piece in good shape you want to sell.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmacdougall View Post
The only problem is the new piller trim from NPD is fiberglass. They are very thin and dimensionally are not very accurate when compared to the original injection molded pieces. Please contact me if you or anyone has a right side original ford piece in good shape you want to sell.

That is true they are 'cheap'. Out here in AZ, you aren't going to find plastic that old in good shape. I've looked.

Tim Sweet
Average Guy's Car Restoration, Mods and Racing
http://timsweet.wordpress.com/
'70 Mustang Coupe, 302 bored .030, 4 Bbl Holley, Hooker Headers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 AM

I have a white left side repop if you need one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in