Toplader 4 stuck on gear - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Toplader 4 stuck on gear

The concept:
71 Mach 1
429 SCJ block ( fresh rebuild = 503 stroker)
D7 - Ford truck bell housing ( 160 mm length)
McLeod RST clutch - fresh
McLeod 1300 TOB
RUG-AJ Toploader 4 - wide ratio fresh mod and rebuild
Hurst Competition shifter - fresh

The problem:
Gears work well in the garage but not on the road.
After driving a mile and changing from 3rd to 2nd it sometimes stuck on 3rd and stays there .
The gears can be freed if going under the car and turn the 3rd lever by hand. Then the gears work again. last time it stuck on neutral after half a mile driving.
When accelerating hard it is impossible to change to 2nd otherwise it goes but needs a bit more force at the end of the shifter travel.

Last summer I drove without problems with the same combination except the gearbox rebuild and the new wide ratio set of gears from David Kee.

Regarding the bell housing I bought a Quick Time RM 8011 for Toploader but the length was 166 mm ( 6 mm more than the old D7....) and the input shaft hardly touched the pilot bearing so we had to use the old bell housing again...

Somebody just suggested to go under the car and see what is happening when moving the shifter.
The gearbox rebuilder said that all sounds that the problems are coming outside the gearbox...

Any ideas or civilized guesses ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 AM

Re: Toplader 4 stuck on gear

sounds like shifter needs to be adjusted ..
look here..
What is the proper way to adjust my Hurst four speed shifter | Grumpys Performance Garage

%201964%20Galaxie/?action=view&current=09-03-10_1408.jpg Lars...
64 galaxie 500 2dr fastback...390 4v, Bendtsen adapter, maddog's stage3 700R4 trans,3.70 Posi..far from perfect but getting there...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Shifter needs adjusted, or is worn out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGGAREN View Post
Hi,
thanks.
I went under the car and noticed that the black steel "springs" that hold the shifter linkage in place had lost their tension and the linkage - 3rd and reverse were rubbing against each other. Luckily I had some extra new "springs" to replace the "tired "ones and now the linkage is free to move.
Could not take a trial trip yet but lets see....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Shifter needs adjusted, or is worn out.
Thanks,
the shofter is new so I try to adjust it better.
The linkage " springs" that hold the linkage in place I found a bit tired so they had lost tension and let the linkage wobble and contact each other actually resulting that when changed from 3rd to 4th the "spring" simply dropped off when it hit the neighbouring linkage ( reverse).
I change them and now nit is much more tight fit - unforunately had no time to make a test drive yet.....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Garage

Is the gearbox rebuilder reputable and are you SURE he knows what he's doing?

The interlocks and detents are kinda tricky to install in a toploader if you've never done it before.
MUST pay attention to the small details on a job like that.
Also on dis-assembly it is easy to lose some small but critical parts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins56 View Post
Thanks,
the shofter is new so I try to adjust it better.
The linkage " springs" that hold the linkage in place I found a bit tired so they had lost tension and let the linkage wobble and contact each other actually resulting that when changed from 3rd to 4th the "spring" simply dropped off when it hit the neighbouring linkage ( reverse).
I change them and now nit is much more tight fit - unforunately had no time to make a test drive yet.....
Glad it's feeling better. Sounds like a Hurst shifter? The linkage shifting rods fit into bushings in the shift levers. These bushings can be had in either plastic or metal. If you don't have them already, definitely get the METAL ones. Much more solid feeling.

As for the spring clips that hold the linkage in place... They can be easy to screw up. First, to avoid the linkage rods hitting each other and causing issues, make sure the linkage is installed on the correct side of the shift lever. Next, if the spring clips are turned around the wrong way. Make sure the flat of the spring rests against a flat surface. It if overhangs the edge of the shift lever, it can catch, and get flipped off.

I assume you know how to adjust the linkage? When all the levers are lined up in neutral, there is a channel down the center of them at the top of the mechanism where a rod or allen wrench can be slid through. All these should line up to where the rod can be easily slid through when in neutral.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in