Increasing my hp - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Increasing my hp

I have a 351C 2v , stock 177 hp
long range plan for 4v heads
What can i do now to make some changes but be able to use the parts later to increase hp...does this sound right
4 barrell/intake, cam kit ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Re: Increasing my hp

Welcome to the forum,
The one thing you should look at with the long term plans you have expressed is the 4 barrel heads are oversized for street use and a intake for 2v heads will not work on 4v heads. Your 2v motor will respond nicely to a cam and carb, get a complete kit that includes springs and timing chain set. You might consider a valve job when you assemble the heads. A set of rear end gears and a set of headers would completely change the personality of the car.

Iowan
"Obsolete is neat"

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I noticed some kits come with pistons, i assume they increase the compression ratio, is this also a good idea ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:03 PM

changing the stroke requires new pistons
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:03 PM

or rods , or both
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
Welcome to the forum,
The one thing you should look at with the long term plans you have expressed is the 4 barrel heads are oversized for street use and a intake for 2v heads will not work on 4v heads. Your 2v motor will respond nicely to a cam and carb, get a complete kit that includes springs and timing chain set. You might consider a valve job when you assemble the heads. A set of rear end gears and a set of headers would completely change the personality of the car.

i agree with this. OP my advice would be to build the engine with the idea of using the edelbrock 3V heads for the 351c. those heads use the 2V ports that have been updated for better flow, but also use the closed chamber combustion chambers of the early 4V heads, thus you get the best of both worlds, proper flow for the street and the capability of running higher compression without detonation.

64 falcon
66 mustang
82 fairmont
a mans fate is a mans fate
and life is but an illusion
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 AM

The Ebrock or twisted wedge 351C heads. Contrary to what everyone seems to say, the 4v heads work fine for the street. I don't know why everyone seems to think they have no low end and are unstreetable. The 351CJ I had ran just fine out of the hole. That being said, your stock 2v heads shouldn't be discounted. With a mild to medium sized cam and a good intake, they work. Just don't overcam it, and don't over carb it. 600 cfm on a E-brock performer rpm (don't waste your time on a performer or comparable low rise as the RPM bests it even on the low end), and a cam in the 224 degree @.050 would really your 2v engine up. Also one of the factory regrinds like the Lunati 4v Cobra jet cam would also work with that combo and be very streetable. This is all if you are running on a budget with no intention of swapping heads.

Last edited by Guitar74; 11-07-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: brain fart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in