New Cobra II owner :) - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

New Cobra II owner :)

Hey guys! I've been reading up the last few days on the site in anticipation of getting my Cobra II. I got it trailered home today, and as usual, it has a few issues, but nothing too major. I can say I'm pretty happy about it. This is my first carbuerated muscle car, and I'm really looking forward in to building it up... Which may involve a 5.0 HO swap. Anyways, it needs a front left wheel and tire (keeps going flat, sadly), and it seems to be burning a bit of oil. Along with that, the upper radiator hose seems to blow steam after I drive the car for a bit, so I assume it's over heating, as I have no leaks.

Anyone have any suggestions for the over-heating?

Pictures~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Re: New Cobra II owner :)

Looks like a good start. As you will find out, restoring a mustang II can be a very challenging task. Parts are not readily available and vender support is quite poor at best. Its definitely worth the trouble and patience worth your challenge. Take your time and do it right, and you will get something you can really be proud of. When you take it out, people really appreciate it since they are becoming more and more uncommon on the road, in spite of the fact that once there were over 1.2 million IIs built. Allan

____

1976 Mustang Cobra II 302/T5
1978 Monroe Handler 351W/C4
2003 Mustang Convertable SVT Cobra
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Subscriber

Cool. Unfortunately the II's get a bad rap for sharing much of the same styling and components as the Pinto, yet no one says squat about the Fox bodies being based on the Fairmont. Yeah, that was an awesome car too.

Anyway, I'd start with the thermostat and radiator cap. Those are usually the main culprits and the easiest and cheapest to change.

"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Will do with the radiator cap and thermostat! I've actually just finished welding a small hairline crack in the muffler, and replacing the hood pins with Shelby pieces. Serpentine belt comes off tomorrow, and the new one goes on. As for the challenge, I'm completely ready for it. I recently just finished and flipped a 1989 MkI MR2. I swapped motors for a Japanese (as in, from Japan) racing motor and transmission. I don't even want to get in to how hard finding parts for that was, and I managed. So I'm prepared for it! I plan on a complete restoration over the next two years, starting with making sure this motor is good and running strong for now, and then a 5.0 swap in a few months. After that, everything will be purely cosmetic. My inspiration is this..

Except black with red stripes, and not so low.. and classic wheels, not 20" chrome.

Also, as an aside, will a T5 transmission fit under these, and match up to the 302?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Well, my mechanic friends and I looked at it, and we think we know the issue. Somewhere in the water veins in the block, there's a clog. How we came to this conclusion, is that the upper radiator hose gets waaay too hot, in course with the over heating, while the lower radiator hose is almost cool to the touch. The radiator itself also gets extremely hot. So I've taken off the upper and lower hoses, and I've tried forcing water through the L that goes from the water pump in to the block (forgot the technical term), but when I do that, water just backs up immediately, making me think the clog is somewhat close. That, or I don't have enough water pressure to get it through.

Any thoughts on that? I'm replacing all the radiator hoses, thermostat, overflow cap, and radiator cap, but should I also do the water pump just incase? Guy I got it from said it was just done, but I tend to not trust others work.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 AM

, but should I also do the water pump just incase? Guy I got it from said it was just done, but I tend to not trust others work.

rad plugged?
guy put on reverse rotation water pump???
bypass hose off water pump collapsing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in