Drive shaft ? - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Drive shaft ?

Is the driveshaft the same in a straight drive and a auto ? 4 cylinder and a V8 ? i need to buy a drive shaft for mine and i want to know if they are the same . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Re: Drive shaft ?

Generally, no and no. Some shafts can interchange, end even between models, but that's not something you can count on. Not only can lengths be different, but U-joint types and sizes, 1 or 2-piece shafts, rear yoke or flat flange, etc. Lengths are most commonly measured between U-joint cap centers. Measure-up and post what you will need, and maybe someone knows of a factory option. Race parts providers often have good shafts of the right length for much less cash. The other path is a custom driveshaft/driveline shop.

Every driveshaft shop has a specific way they want you to measure for correct fit. Choose your shop, get their sheet, and be sure to follow it exactly. If it doesn't fit, and it was your measuring, you eat the cost and get to start over. So be careful with that.

David

-=≡ If it was easy everyone would do it ≡=-
[size=1]HotShotsJava.com Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbo ,WA fair trade and 100% organic. Voted best espresso and coffee![/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in