How can I change my odometer to the correct mileage? - Page 2 - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Re: How can I change my odometer to the correct mileage?

My Mustang has 150,200 miles on it. My "new" used odometer showed 58,700 miles. That is not the accurate mileage. I have changed it to 50,200 and correct to the car. The 58,700 represents some GT parts car in Oklahoma; not my car. I did not change the odometer to 49,000 or 25,000. If I had, Beoweolf would have an arguement.
  • The fact is that if the "new" used odometer had shown 10,000 or 90,000, I would have changed it to 50,200. If I could, I would put it at 150,200, but it is missing the hundred thousands number.
    • I'm a Christian and while not perfect, that is my goal. Liars make me sick. Those laws weren't written for people like me. They were written for con men and that is the way they are stated.I don't have to wait until "sooner or later". I am representing the mileage on the odometer as "fact" right now. If I had not changed it, it would not be "fact". Anybody that is familiar with a 1988 LX will know that this white face, 140 MPH speedometer is not original anyway.
      • Also, I didn't ask anyone on the forum if it was OK to change an odometer, just how to do it. My motives are not sinister. There is no fraud involved. If I had left the odometer at the higher mileage, wouldn't that be fraudulent? It is not commonly done, but it is still being deceitful about the true condition of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Subscriber

Guess I'm going to hell, I set mine at zero, but I replaced everything but the roof dash and one door

"Screw it, it's only money"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 PM

After reading all below I was thinking a drill till it was posted. Well he could put a floor jack under the rear housing , Reverse say 2000 rpms to get 8000 miles off .

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:58 AM
Not Confirmed

I just installed a 166, 000 mi. '07 cluster into an '05 mustang that showed 97,000, I would shure like it to be closer to the the actual miles on car , I'd be happy if it showed 100. 000
i swapped it because two guages stopped working , other pluses the '07 had my color lighting option and a couple other additional gages , oil & volt and travel till empty , mpg etc. minuses it is searching foir the abs and the tire preassure opt. the cad doesn't have , i heard this can be turned off . i just need to find a local guy to do it, and put the miles closer to actual,
as a kick in the but the i just noticed messed the BMV up when i bought it and made it mechanical limits exceeded ........ Its digital, dumbass me for not noticing and dumbass on them, the place was not even busy.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Not Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoweolf View Post
Each of you make an "impassioned" plea for why it’s "OK" to change the odometer ro something less than the actual mile that have calculated. Let’s just say that you are as honest as you say...you would Never, misrepresent the mileage shown on the altered odometer as the actual mileage - right. Stange, I haven't noticed one guy happy about putting in odometer/speedometer with more miles. If it was OK to toss in any ol' speed odometer, then you would think there might be a 50/50 split?

The problem is the next owner and the next owner and the next....

We already have evidence in these pages that family history, family legends of a car that uncle "Joe" got from the factory with a 427, 8v - when matched against the invoice, Ford factory records or reading the VIN show a whole different truth. Which is more likely ... that the owner altered the car or the car was originally built with a different motor, drive train?

Come on guys...this does not hold up to even the simplest investigation. The only reason to change the odometer is to give a false sense of exclusivity to a car or to reflect replacement of a failed part, which should be directly matched to what is indicated on the original. We all want a low mileage, early model car - some survivor that was owned by a "little old lady" the only drove it to church on Sunday, plus she was basically a sinner - so she only drove it to church for Easter and Christmas and that was just around the block. That's why the car (a 1956 Crown Victoria) only has 150 miles on it! Look at me, I have a very special car.

Fact is, if you change the odometer, without documenting in an indelible manner (writing it on the title, documenting and notarize and witnessed declaration of fact); if not, sooner or later, someone will represent that mileage as "fact".

The altered odometer law(s) were passed not because too many people were being too honest, it was passed to make sure we all know it is not a good thing not fair – not legal, and to ensure there could be a penalty accessed, if it is discovered that the odometer has been tampered with ... end of story.

If you really want to hold on to the illusion that it’s OK, then why ask? Just do it and keep it to yourself.

The inconvenient truth is we all for some reason or other have decided to judge the condition of the "Whole car" based on a very narrow basis of miles traveled. Air craft and trucks are judged based on engine hours and age. Cars are judged based on mileage. Neither are perfect, but they are the hallmarks used to judge the vehicle - so once you change them .... it is a form of fraud, good intentioned or not.

Taken from a more basic example; No matter how much cosmetic surgery Cher goes thru, she is still an over 50 year old woman, I don't see her asking to change her birth certificate. Of course, no real Gentleman or Lady would ask her age, but the fact is still the same, appearance have nothing to do fact – this is not a case of Shangri la.

Do we really want to play a Con man/Lawyer game or discuss the facts?
I have an 87 BMW 528e, my speedometer mileage gets stuck at times. I bought a new one, the mileage on the car is 71987, want to increase it to around 75000 miles to be closer to correct mileage. How can I get this accomplished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in