Factory Tach to MSD Tach Adapter question - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Subscriber

Factory Tach to MSD Tach Adapter question

Hello Gents and Gals.
I just put a MSD 6AL ignition in my 85 5.0l 5spd coupe and need help with hooking up the factory tach. I have a MSD tach adapter to install, I'm just not sure which wire in the wiring harness powers the tach. Any help would be great. Thought I'd ask the knowledge base here. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Subscriber

Re: Factory Tach to MSD Tach Adapter question

I guess I wasn't very clear in my question. I am looking for the tach wire in the factory harness from the Duraspark box to the dash panel. I unplugged the box and taped off the connectors. Once I've located the tach feed, is the tach adapter even needed? Or can I just run a jumper from the tach output to the harness connector?
Thanks for your help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 AM

I've done it both ways...
In my '83... it didn't need the tach adapter when I first installed the MSD 6. Drove it that way for a few years. Then I pulled the engine, installed a few choice parts - bigger then crap, it was reading funny, I was about to scrap the factory tach - put in a after market unit, but I really wanted to keep the stock-look.

Finally remembered about the tach adaper. Installed it and started reading right again.

So, the wisdom I can impart is, it doesn't need the adapter ... until it does.

" ... It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. ..." - Voltaire

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Subscriber

Thanks Beoweolf for the insight
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM

.... By the way, the '83 Mustangs had those "stupid" 85 mph speedometers so, ... "While I was in there" ... I took advantage of the opportunity to change over to the SVO, 140 mph speedometer at the same time.

Those early, 4-eye Mustangs were lighter, faster than the later models. They make great street rides. In my opinion, the more stock they look - the better. I tried very hard to keep the TRX wheels but it wasn't in the cards ... the metric tires cost way more than they were worth, only came in two sizes - I think they stopped making them in the early '90's.

I did change over to dual exhaust, Hated losing the Chromed, Fake factory y-tips... so I had the tail pipes ceramic coated, black - until motor is running, most folk think it is a 6 cylinder.

" ... It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. ..." - Voltaire
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Subscriber

[QUOTE=Beoweolf;1564746].... By the way, the '83 Mustangs had those "stupid" 85 mph speedometers so, ... "While I was in there" ... I took advantage of the opportunity to change over to the SVO, 140 mph speedometer at the same time.

The best part about the 85 MPH speedo is . . . " Do you know how fast you were going?" "Yes officer, I was going blank." lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in