347 swap, NeeD Help! runs good but dies when i tap throttle - Page 3 - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Re: 347 swap, NeeD Help! runs good but dies when i tap throttle

Well I dont know much about the heads, I bought them from my machinist. He said another customer had him do all kinds of work to them and the guy never came back so he gave me a good deal on them. There cast iron i know that... compression on the motor is 9:5:1 I belive. I'm using the stock rear end for now, its got 4.10's. If you need to know anything else just let me know. I think a 670 holley would work good, i'm just not sure if i want vaccum or mechanical secondaries and if I want a double pumper? Thanks for all the replies everyone! been lots of help

On there website they have a carb selector after entering all my info it suggested 650, 670, 750 and a 770 cfm carb. Should I go with something higher then a 670?

Last edited by StRoKeD OuT 7; 07-21-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

The only time you need a double pumper is when you have more motor than you have carburetor and it bogs or get's too lean to run WOT from a near stand still.

That's what I think and I'm stickin' to it unless someone has something to add that would change my mind.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Garage

Generaly vacuum secondarys are used in heavy vehicles that are under powered. Provides more low end torq. Another reason would be my 460 Ford dualy plenty of power but with a double pumper pulling my 14000 lbs trailer the Cruse control vacuum motor isnt strong enough to open the secondarys on a steep hill. Vacuum secondars are often better for fuel economy although it can have a lot to do with the operator.

Holley recomends using mechanical secondarys on lighter vehicles and using a CFM rating one step down from calculated or picked off the graph in their cataloge.

A big reason I also ask about your cylinder head flow has to do with proper selection of cam, intake and carb. Mixed with what the vehicle purpose and owners desires. Open track, drags, street strip, street.

Selecting a carb for your setup I would also recomend one with changeable air bleeds to get the best tune .

I also notice your fuel pressure regulator on the fire wall. Some sanctioning bodys dont allow it and most manufactures state in there mounting instructions not to mount there.
Need to rehash your stuff will be back for some suggestions

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Garage

Would like complete cam specks... cranking compression check.... who did the head work? BTW I will be in Indy early eary this next week.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I didnt know that about mounting the fuel regulator but i just read threw the instructions that came with my BG regulator and it didnt say anything about how to mount it. I'll have to check with my local track and see what there rules are, but thanks for the info. If I have to move it I will, not that big of a deal I guess.

My cam is a Comp Cams PN# 31-452-8. Im looking at the cam card that came with it im just not sure what specs exactly you need. Like I said this is my first build, thats why I have so many questions. Im pretty good at doing the work just not so good at all the specifics. My machinist works at Highland East Auto Parts in Renton, Washington. I had the heads flow tested I just cant remember the exact number. I'll call him and get it tomorrow.

On the Holley website it says your car should weigh less then 3100 lbs, have a true min stall of 4000 rpm and have a min 3.73 rear end ratio for 3 or 4 speed autos before you use mechanical secondaries. I know my car weighs less then 3100lbs and I have 4.10's but i'm not to sure about my torque converter all i know for sure is thats its a TCI. The guy told me its 1000 rpm above stock. So whats stock?

Right now im just using a edelbrock performer intake, I'd like to get a new one but I dont have room for anything taller. Dont got the hood clearance. Also, I do plan on taking this car to the track but I want to be able to drive it on the street too. So street and strip i guess. I'll get more info on the heads in the morning. Let me know if you need anything else to figure out what carb i should go with, thanks
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Cool Re: 347 swap, NeeD Help! runs good but dies when i tap throttle

nice looking build. when I read the first post you made, vacuum leak came to mind first. also going from flat to roller cam your firing order may have changed, check your cam card for the firing order. but you are prob rolling around town by now. let us know what all you found to get it right, your solution could help some one else.

Last edited by uncps; 01-31-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: noticed date on thread LOL
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Thats a really cool looking car you got there & as you can see your in the right place for good info.
My old build was just like your motor, with the same cast iron heads that had been cleaned up, but specs on em, i never knew. A holley 670 is plenty for that motor with vacuum secondaries for a street car, easy to maintain, better fuel mileage & mine at least, was near perfect right out of the box. I to chased vacuum leaks, timing issues & as stated above, just try look after one issue at a time. Once i got mine driveable, & to a good shop for a tune, they found a leaky intake gasket on one bank, that was the whole source of all my issues! With a good tune that little motor ran so nice, couldn;t believe what a good tuner got out of it.
good luck & keep us apprised,eh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in