need more stopping power! - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Smile need more stopping power!

I own a 79 mustang just put in a 351w, whet to the drag stripe on tt night best run was a 7.13 @94 mph, but when it cam time to stop I had to stand up on the brakes, that was not a good thing. my ? is there any brake system I can get from the local parts yard to fit my 79 without breaking the bank. THANKS for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

Re: need more stopping power!

You simply need to REPAIR your schitty brakes man, you don't need to upgrade.

I've never ever ever ever ever ever ever seen a car with a brake system that wouldn't stop within 900 feet regardless of how fast you are going.

Yours must be broken.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM

If you have an original 4 banger car they will have 9" fronts which are kinda weenie. Find an original V8 or V6 car and it will have 10" front discs. These are the same ones used on early 5.0 HO cars.
Or, get front spindles and brakes from an 87 up 5 liter Fox. They have 11" rotors up front. You'll need the newer style front struts too as they match the spindles. Get the booster and master from the donour car too. Get good quality pads regardless. Make sure your rears are up to snuff and adjusted properly too ( As FE says fix them if broken!) All Mustangs used the same 9" rear drums but if you can find a fox station wagon some have 10" drums out back that are a bolt on.

There is your junk yard swap.

Stu

“I really admire qualities in others that I don’t possess. Subtlety being one…”

Last edited by CaptVirgilHilts; 06-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 AM

LOL, FE is right, those are decent brakes. While any brakes can be improved, you should not have to stand on them to stop from 94mph even on a short overrun. When working properly and equipped with good street performance pads and shoes, '78-'83 Mustang V8 brakes will put you through the windshield. I would grab a shop manual (Ford - not Shilton's or similar) and go through the whole braking system. Hawk or Porterfield pads and shoes will stop it scary fast, and are nice to have, but you should not require those for what you're doing. Good quality semi-mets should do. You're just stopping a car from 94 mph. Not a biggie.

David

-=≡ If it was easy everyone would do it ≡=-
[size=1]HotShotsJava.com Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbo ,WA fair trade and 100% organic. Voted best espresso and coffee![/size]
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys I did not reolize I was running that slow, however to me it is fairly fast, I have,nt drag race in 25 years but thanks for your input( FE)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM

I didn't say you were running slow, just using your number of 94 mph. My first drag car did 11.23 at 123 mph, which crosses to about your performance in the 1/8th. I never had issue slowing it down from the 120s in-spite of it's 4000 pounds and 4-wheel drum brakes. Your discs and weight should be no problem for 94 mph from that perspective. I also ran an '82 Capri (same brakes and all as your 'Stang) and never had any braking issues road racing, so it seems from here that you have a brake problem of some sort. If you know they are working properly with quality parts, but you need more - then by all means upgrade.

David

[size=1]HotShotsJava.com Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbo ,WA fair trade and 100% organic. Voted best espresso and coffee![/size]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM

I'm wondering if you just have seized calipers or jammed up pins that is why you need to stand on it just to over come the physical resistance of the workings. It may be a budget build but Fox brake stuff is pretty cheap nowadays so I'd be looking at swapping in some new calipers rotors etc. if I was not sure of the general condition of them. Brakes are pretty important ( Stu's understatement of the century LOL)

Stu

“I really admire qualities in others that I don’t possess. Subtlety being one…”
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptVirgilHilts View Post
It may be a budget build but Fox brake stuff is pretty cheap nowadays so I'd be looking at swapping in some new calipers rotors etc.
I did a quick lookup on Rockauto, and they have fresh calipers at $9 each, hoses at $3, rotors at $18 (clearance item or $28 regular) and decent semi-met (not organic) brake pads at $7 a full set (clearance). Offhand, that's $67 to put all fresh parts on - plus shipping. I'd say that's a pretty inexpensive brake job!

David

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Sorry if I offended you with my comment on the schitty brakes. But they're pretty schitty if you have to put so much effort into stopping from 100 on the track after the 1/8th or 1/4 mile.

I'm no racer, never have raced, but I 'stop' all the time and I know how well a car should stop with decent brakes and speed has very little to do with the initial braking, it's the heat that builds that's the real bugger. But if you're not racing down the track every 3 minutes, then you shouldn't have any stopping issues if your braking schtuff ain't broke

That's what I meant to say...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys for helping me see the light, It turned out to be my brake booster was bad replaced it with manual unit now it stops just fine.
( THANKS FE)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Brakes, rotors , spindes, and calipers from an 80 cougar/ thunder bird all fit too. They are all Fox bodies, and are what I have done swaps with in the past. Also, ditch those rubber lines and get Earls stainless braided, you will not believe the difference.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Glad you found it and can stop better now! Hate to see you off the end of the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in