352 to a Stroker - Page 4 - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by My427stang View Post
Sorry trying to do this by phone what I tried to say was if he is going to run big valve heads that you recommended the intake will be the bottleneck and it's not worth doing the heads to that level
I absolutely agree with that but unfortunately failed to mention that [my bad] in my previous post, and I think it is a GREAT point to bring up.

As you know, I also agreed that the Eddy heads are really a better all around way to go [which is obviously a no brainer], but due to his specific wants, I mentioned in a bit more detail what he could do with his original ones simply so he has more info to base his decision on.

That being said, after having personally rebuilt probably over 100 FE heads with my very own hands, my guess is that he will need new valves, and since I'm pretty sure you know how stupid the price is on even stock sealed power valves, you can see why I posted the link to Alex's site.

They also sell the smaller 1.03 intake and 1.55 exhaust in stainless and I think at least the smaller intake wouldn't be out of the question, however, I personally just couldn't bring myself to run the stock 1.55 exhaust in a 420 ci stroker engine but that's just me.

I would still do some bowl work though even if it was just blending the bowl with the guide a little simply because I can't help myself, plus I think it's still a good bang for the buck, and if I paid Bob Mckray to do it, whom was actually around 1/4 mile from the shop, it wouldn't be more than $200.00, so at least in my area, that's a pretty good deal.

.
.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-10-2015 at 01:19 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
There are a few guys out there in FE land who are very knowledgeable and have tons of FE experience. There is at least one poster on this thread who just seems to be a good Google searcher...
LOL, Yes, I am in FACT an INCREDIBLY good “Google searcher”, but one first has to know quite a bit to be as good at it as I am because they not only have to have enough experience to know what they are looking for in some instances, they also have to have enough experience to be able to filter out the FACTS from the fiction . . I am also a very good writer and musician and am constantly reading because I like to learn new things, but none of that is relevant, nor is the fact that I use Google for some things.

I don’t, and never would claim to be the foremost expert in engine building, however, my experience and knowledge is certainly FAR greater than blykins has incorrectly assumed and implied, and if you call Randy at Race Tec whom I’ve known for maybe 20 years, you can simply ask him whom Mustang Mike, and Dude and Monroe and Mike Hayden and Bob Mckray are, and I think you will have a better understanding of my level of hands on experience.

You can also look up Hayden and Mckray on the internet . . My real name also appears several times online in magazine excerpts in the PRO section of race results, and I built all my vehicles myself.

Imo, you seem like a logical. pragmatic person that can easily sift thru the rhetoric and make intelligent decisions based on EVERYTHING that has been posted here.

I also think if someone is going to attempt to discredit another person as blykins has clearly attempted to do to me, it might be best for them to find out a little about their "targets" background first so they can avoid being embarrassed when they are proven wrong. . . I also think comments/attacks of this nature are unprofessional and discourteous and do nothing to benefit an op or the topic at hand and actually darken the tine of the threads..



EAGLE CRANKS PURPORTEDLY BREAKING

My short and simple reply to this is "Prove it." . . I hardly think that's too much to as when someone is making claims like this.

In fact, at one time, Scat had so many cranks break that they actually posted an entire page on their site that addressed this specific issue regarding THEIR cranks, NOT EAGLE'S . . In FACT, they not only mentioned one way to break their crank, they mentioned FIVE, so I really have to refrain myself from laughing at Scat's info page . . The entire page is in the link below, which is aptly titled, "FIVE WAYS TO BREAK A SCAT CRANK" . . Please tell me how someone can NOT laugh at that.

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/scatt...k_the_Nose.pdf


OK, all fun aside, Scat makes very good cranks....now . . There were also several people that did break Eagle cranks a few years ago, however, it's nearly impossible to gauge the actual percentage of people that broke them compared to the thousands of cranks they sold that didn't break because obviously very few people are going to stat a thread saying, "I have an X brand crankshaft and it did not break.".

Eagle addressed the issue and changed something and I have not heard of one breaking since although I;m sure some people have just like some people have broken Scat cranks recently . . Let's face it, these are Chinese cranks, not US made cranks . . Bad sh_t may very well happen if one does stupid things with ANY Chinese crank.



OVERHEATING

blykins comments are based on HIS experience only, therefore, to make it a blanket statement is simply incorrect since his experience does not include mine, or yours, or everyone else’s in the world . . Some of the actual FACTS [not opinions] are as follows.

I combined part of my business with a shop called Mustangs and American Classics which was one of the biggest Mustang restoration and repair shops in the Western US, and I was there since BEFORE the very first day it opened, and the very first car the owner restored was one I sold to one of his very first customers . . I stayed there with the new owner even AFTER it was sold which was around 20 years after it first opened, so I not only saw a lot of Mustangs thru my own business, I also saw literally hundreds thru the shop and many had heat related problems, and MANY of those were FE’s . . I was also the “engine, carb and overheating guy” there . . When they had a problem they couldn’t figure out, I was the one whom helped figure it out, and I figuered out every single one and in some cases, the problem was definitely because an engine was bored out too far.

The shop was located in Southern California where it gets around 100 degrees in the summer, so on top of bored out engines, many people also had air conditioning which greatly added to the problem, therefore, for me to see someone not only imply, but almost guarantee that YOUR engine [not theirs] will NOT run hot, seems inappropriate to me.

Not everyone has experienced the same thing . . Maybe they live where it never gets warmer than 50 degrees, or maybe they just had better luck and had a lot of good blocks and we had a lot of bad luck, or maybe, unlike myself, they think that 210 degrees is not hot even though they have a 180 degree thermostat in it . . Since, I don’t personally know blykins, I can not, and will not, assume ANYTHING about his level of experience as he has assumed about mine.



PRESSURE TESTING CYLINDER HEADS AND REBUILDING COSTS

Since I already gave you all these prices, you are already aware of the potential cost difference.

Imo, pressure testing your heads is an unnecessary expense in your particular app because you do not have overheating or coolant loss problems, however, it is certainly added insurance . . I would however definitely have them mag checked for cracks which are typically in the valve seat area of some heads if they are anywhere, which in my experience is far more common on Chevy heads than it is on FE heads.

I base this OPINION, on the FACT that I actually ran the cylinder head department of one of the biggest engine rebuilding shops on Orange County California for a while where I worked on MANY Ford and Chevy heads which included numerous FE heads . . I also worked on Mercedes and BMW heads as well as a few other exotics . . I not only did the valve jobs, I also installed the guides and seats and surfaced them . . We also had to weld cracks in aluminum heads on occassion . . In addition to this, I did screw type crack repair on them and I never had one single head returned for ANY reason . . I also did pressure testing on ALL diesel heads as standard practice as well as a few automobile heads for various reasons, but the automobile heads were rarely done.



CAMSHAFT AND BUILD SUGGESTIONS

I think talking to other builders as blykins suggested is a great idea even though your goals are so modest that even someone with as incredibly little experience as I have can easily Google enough information to meet them, therefore I am happy to suggest a two that haven’t been mentioned but whose credentials are EASY to verify . . This is in NO WAY a reflection on Barry from Survival whom all of us FE guys are happy to have around . . It is simply additional sources where incredibly good info can be had from some more of the most knowledgeable people in this area . . It’s a bit like going to the doctor, it never hurts to get a second opinion before they do the brain surgery.

Chris Straub, owner of Straub Technologies

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

Cam designer extraordinaire . . Does not advertise on sites but is a member of one of the biggest drag racing sites in the world where he tries to help others with their engines when he has free time . . He is one of the most popular members on that site and has designed race winning cams for countless numbers of them . . If you do an internet search of his name you will not see one bad thing about him.

If you contact him, I suggest you do it by phone and also suggest that you write all your questions down in advance so as to not to take up more of his time than necessary only because I know he is very busy . . If he did have a lot of time to talk on the phone I guess he wouldn’t be a very good cam designer, lol.

Here’s a link to comments from just a couple of people out of hundreds whom he has designed cams for, including comments from a World and multi time National Champion.

Customer Rides - Straub Technologies


Below is a photo of Jon Kaase wearing one of Chris Straubs T shirts . . Jon has won the annual Engine Masters challenge 5 times and is a very knowledgeable big block Ford guy, so I think the fact that he would even be seen in a Straub Technologies T shirt kinda speaks for itself . . You could certainly call him also, however, I really think that what he does is beyond the scope of your needs, and he’ll probably refer you to Chris Straub anyway.

To reach him or view his site, click on the short link below.

Home


.............




Here's another good source of info . . Ford specialist Scott Main, multi time Engine Masters competitor and also 3rd place finisher in one of the events . . He is also an NHRA World Champion ans six time NHRA record holder . . I think he can probably make a decent cam for a 350 hp FE engine.

http://www.camresearchcorp.com/street-cred/




DYNO RESULTS

Duke, Here’s some links to just a few dyno sheets from Straub cammed engines that were posted by just a few of his hundreds of happy customers . . Although the power ratings might be slightly above what you are looking for, I think it’s safe to say that if he can get this kind of power from a carbureted engine, he can probably design a cam that will work well in yours.

Carbureted 427 ci 736 hp and 607 tq.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server15...g?t=1398725710


Carbureted engine . . 1,170 hp 961 tq.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server15...oat-engine.bmp



This car belongs to Ed Morel whom is the owner and designer of the Morel lifters I previously suggested . . He is beyond well rich enough to be able to afford to have anyone in the world design a cam for him and he had Chris Straub do it . . His engine made 830 hp on on Jon Kaase’s dyno.

............................................... MAN I SURE LOVE GOOGLE!



.

.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-10-2015 at 04:46 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #48 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 24
Re: 352 to a Stroker

Well, I'll start with a sorry to all...didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest with you guys. That said, I do appreciate all of your input very much. You all have good and valid suggestions for me to ponder.

I'm going to give all of these posts a good study and at some point soon I'll post what I believe will work within my budget after I do some pricing. I've asked around here in Missoula and have located a reputable shop that specializes in custom builds. They have a good rep for their machine work, so I want to talk with them as well, in regard to various costs. Once again, I want to thank you all for your help. This is turning into something of an obsession with me, so I want to get it right.

Now, all of you take a time out, shake hands, and finish your vegetables!
duke1622 is offline  
 
post #49 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1622 View Post
Well, I'll start with a sorry to all...didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest with you guys. That said, I do appreciate all of your input very much. You all have good and valid suggestions for me to ponder.

I'm going to give all of these posts a good study and at some point soon I'll post what I believe will work within my budget after I do some pricing. I've asked around here in Missoula and have located a reputable shop that specializes in custom builds. They have a good rep for their machine work, so I want to talk with them as well, in regard to various costs. Once again, I want to thank you all for your help. This is turning into something of an obsession with me, so I want to get it right.

Now, all of you take a time out, shake hands, and finish your vegetables!
Duke, obviously no need for you to apologize . . Everyone has your best interest at heart although it might be difficult for some people to either understand your mild aspirations or make what seems to them like "low horsepower" suggestions because it just not the nature of most people on sites like this as evidenced by blykins post saying bigger is better, and my427stang saying the GT 390 intake SUCKS, lol.

Even I had to force myself to include the "modest" GT 390 intake in my post and I KNEW I was gonna take flack for it, lol.

That being said, I can assure you it will supply enough air to roast your tires . . I know this for a fact because I have owned around 20 cars with GT 390 engines in them and have driven dozens more so even though it is kinda a pos intake, if it roasts the tires, I would think that might exceed your needs but it would not be what I would use but I would want more hp then you seem to.

Anyway, please come back soon and keep us updated.

.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-10-2015 at 05:06 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #50 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 153
Re: 352 to a Stroker

I simply can't sort through pages of replies.

However, if you're gonna name drop, I have personally dyno'd at the man's shop that you posted a picture of (and sat down to have a nice lunch with him as well). I also know Chris Straub and do business with him, as well as Randy Gillis (he's a member of my 351C forum and I buy loads of FE, Cleveland, and Windsor pistons from him).

If you want to research my street cred, look on any FE oriented forum and just search for my name. Or, Google my name period. I have sent FE's from Canada to Australia, and have road race FE engines in the UK.

I have probably screwed together more FE's than any single person on this forum (with the exception of Barry if he's floating around on here) all the way up to 725 hp Tunnel Ports. I would not give any advice without banking all of my experience on it and I will gladly stand behind any statement I've made thus far, including bore size to running temperature correlations.

As far as Eagle cranks go, skip my advice and shoot Barry Rabotnick, Keith Craft, Robert Pond, or Blair Patrick an email about whether or not they would run one....

I'm more about experience than Googling and pasting data. I'm sure you have done your share of engine work in your time, but I'm sorry, I just can't agree with most of the advice that you give.....on FE's, or the previous Cleveland thread where you offered some faulty advice.

Done with this thread and my sincerest apologies to the OP for the hijack, but I can't read and go along with some of the advice that's been given, and I hope you understand that. (And absolutely, bigger IS better....)

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports, LLC
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
[email protected]

Last edited by blykins; 09-10-2015 at 05:43 PM.
blykins is offline  
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
...if you're gonna name drop, I have personally dyno'd at the man's shop that you posted a picture of (and sat down to have a nice lunch with him as well). I also know Chris Straub and do business with him, as well as Randy Gillis (he's a member of my 351C forum and I buy loads of FE, Cleveland, and Windsor pistons from him).
lol, so suggesting that someone call a particular manufacturer for info like you told Duke to when you suggested he contact Barry is “name dropping” when anyone other than you does it? . . That makes a lot of sense...NOT, lol.

My post was simply to counter your grossly inaccurate portrayal of my experience, and add additional FACTUAL info for Duke, nothing more . . It was NOT a personal attack on you like yours was on me . . My reply was in response to the unprovoked and unwarranted abrasive comment YOU made regarding me and now you don’t like the fact that you were called out for making it and proven wrong, and you are now now making a feeble attempt to CONTINUE to discredit me in hopes of making yourself look better.

So you had lunch with Jon Kaase, I’m “impressed”, but from reading some of your comments, imo, you did NOT learn anything from him.

After reading all your comments, imo, you are simply more interested in making a sale than you are in really trying to help, because I see no other logical reason for your apparent rage that I suggested businesses other than yours for Duke to call.

Are you now going to suggest that Chris Straub and Scott Main are bad choices to call for cam and/or build info? . . I'd really kinda like to see you do that and bet that Jon Kaase, Chris Straub, and Scott Main would too . . If you did that, my guess would be that you won't be on ANY of their next invitation lists...but I could be wrong....have been before...definitely will be again, but unlike some others, at least I'm man enough to admit when I am.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
If you want to research my street cred,
I have absolutely NO interest in "researching" your "street cred", because I would never refer anyone to someone that behaves like you do irregardless of how good they might be, and I can assure you, a few different businesses make a fair amount of money off of my referrals . . In FACT, I sent well over $50,000.00 a year in business to someone I knew very well.

I'm probably a bit old fashioned because imo, the person is the business, and I would rather do business with someone I like whom presents himself well and professionally than people that don't, even that that other business might do a better job, especially when I am giving them $10,000.00 a year or more of my own money which I was with a few different business for many years.

People that may happen to read all of this will easily see that at no time did I say ANYTHING abrasive or negative about you, therefore, it kinda shows what type of people we both are.

People may not be right all the time like you probably think you are, however, there is a professional and courteous way to respond to errors etc that others make and then there is an a hole way to do it . . Yours is clearly NOT the first of these two options.
.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-10-2015 at 09:33 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

.
Duke, if you do call anyone regarding the specific crank in question, which I think you should, just tell them it is for around a 375 hp 420 ci FE that will never see more than 5,000 rpm and will never have the clutch dumped on it and may have an ATI damper.

Just for fun I "Googled" the phrase "scat crank broken" and it came back with an entire page full of complaints about them . . Does that mean that everyone they sold is junk and will break?

https://www.google.com/search?q=scat...utf-8&oe=utf-8

.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-10-2015 at 07:30 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

.
Here’s the I beams that blykens suggested unless he knows of others in this price range . . The Scat one is $36.00 MORE than the EAGLE H beam I originally posted for you.


Scat I BEAM p/n 2-ICR6700-7/16 . . $465.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-26700716a


EAGLE I BEAM p/n SIR6700B . . $330.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-sir6700b




Here's the two H beams that are available . . The Scat is $55.00 more than the EAGLE.


SCAT H BEAM p/n 2-454-6700-2200 . . $485.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-6670022


These are the EAGLE rods I posted for you earlier because I thought they were more than adequate for your app which blykins agreed with, but basically thought they were too much money . . I have in fact used many EAGLE H beam rods, and not a single one of them EVER needed resizing, but I must have gotten lucky.

They claim they are machined in the US on a fancy, expensive German machine, however, I never flew to their claimed location to see for myself.

“Eagle uses the state-of-the-art Sunnen Krossgrinding system to achieve perfect bore size and consistency unmatched in the industry. This system is completely computer controlled and produces perfect and repeatable results every time.”

EAGLE H BEAM . . $430.00.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-67003d/overview/

Last edited by barnett468; 09-10-2015 at 09:23 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,791
Barnett it comes to this. Ultimately although you show general knowledge and even specific in other engine families, what you post repeatedly shows lack of experience in THIS engine.

Brent and I love to teach this stuff and even eagerly try to bring in the details to help.
In the end, if he followed your initial parts choice it would have likely been an expensive 325 hp 420 not 375, when for similar money could get much better, and still appropriate performance

Nobody wants to fight, but this one engine family you repeatedly miss the mark across many posts. I hate to say stuff like this but know no other way.
My427stang is offline  
post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

double post

Last edited by barnett468; 09-11-2015 at 02:35 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My427stang View Post
Barnett it comes to this. Ultimately although you show general knowledge and even specific in other engine families, what you post repeatedly shows lack of experience in THIS engine. … this one engine family you repeatedly miss the mark across many posts.
FIND ANOTHER WHIPPING BOY CUZ THIS ONE WILL NEVER TAKE YOUR CR_P

I hope that is clear enough for you!

Again you make another off topic, unwarranted, somewhat arrogant reply attempting to discredit my knowledge and boost people’s perception of yours . . Just because YOU say something is a certain way, it does NOT mean that it is . . I thought you might have learned your lesson when you did the same thing last week . . You are UNQUALIFIED to judge my level of skill, NOR is it your job to do so, and as long as you continue to do so, you will get the same type of reply, so once again, I suggest you STOP doing it . . You are ruining peoples threads with by continuing to make posts like this on them.

As I told you last week, if you have a problem with someone, put it on an email, however, you intentionally continue to post your grievances and disparaging comments on other peoples threads . . Contrary to your own belief, I did NOT, just fall off the Turnip truck . . Also, contrary to another belief you have, you are NOT the arbiter/Einstein of all FE knowledge.

DEFINITION OF “ARBITER”

“A person who is considered to be an authority on what is right.”


DEFINITION OF “EINSTEIN”

“A person who is considered to be an authority on what is right.”


OVERHEATING

It obvious to me that it is in fact you and blykins that have limited experience and knowledge in these engines, especially when you guys say they can bore be bored out as far as one wants because they don’t have a problem overheating and this includes the 352 block . . That’s simply laughable to anyone one that really had much experience with them that lives in an area where it is hot, and it is so incredibly wrong that it doesn’t even warrant a reply . . Either that or the calibrated infra red gun I used was WAY off and the pinging noise they made when they got hot was imaginary, and the thousands of dollars I spent on radiators at Mattsons and US Radiator for them over the last 40 years was a waste because it wasn’t needed because the engines weren’t really running hot.

It would be a waste of your time trying to tell me they ran hot because the timing was off or the thermostat was stuck closed or the radiator was plugged or they had the wrong fan or pulley size or the lower hose didn’t have a spring in it or the impeller on the water pump was eaten away and so on . . I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that none of these things were the cause in many cases . . Although many of these cars did have some of these problems, they still ultimately needed bigger rads and better fans than stock to keep them running on the thermostat, therefore it’s pointless to say that just because a bored out engine needs a cooling system that is bigger than stock to run on the thermostat, that it wasn’t due to thin cylinder walls, because you would be wrong again . . You can try to come up with some sort of other excuse for it if you want, but there simply isn’t one.




Quote:
Originally Posted by My427stang View Post
Nobody wants to fight,
Actions speak louder than words, and neither your words nor blykins convey this message, period, end of discussion.




Quote:
Originally Posted by My427stang View Post
Brent and I love to teach this stuff and even eagerly try to bring in the details to help.
I did NOT ask and I do NOT care, and to make a statement using the word “teach” in the context that you have, once again shows that you think you know it all . . It can also be viewed as an implication that I do NOT enjoy TRYING to help others when I think I can be of some benefit to them, which couldn’t be farther from the truth . . It’s blatantly obvious that I put in FAR MORE TIME AND EFFORT into ”trying” to help people than most ANYONE on the site . . Another person that puts in a lot of effort and time in is PSIG . . There are also others but I can’t remember their names right now.

Since you seem to be judging the value of my posts in public, I will say that you make very long posts which obviously take some time to make, however, imo, I think a lot of it is useless to many op’s . . This is not to say that it is inaccurate info, it is simply things they either don’t need to know for what they are trying to achieve or they won’t understand because it’s simply over their head, and I think that on some occasions, your info that is helpful to them might get lost amongst all the other comments in your post.

I certainly can’t speak for them but from a point of dispensing the most helpful of the info, it might be the case . . In other words, I think some of your posts would be more helpful if they were condensed and more specific to the question etc.

Since you mentioned the word teach, I remember that after you said something that was simply wrong by anyone’s definition, you were surprised that you made that type of error because you had written so many academic papers, therefore, my guess is that you DO have at least some familiarity with “teaching”, however, by your posts, it seems to me that it was not in engineering or automotive mechanics . . I on the other hand, DID “teach” automotive AND motorcycle mechanics on occasion . . Can I design a camshaft from scratch? . . Not a chance in hell . . Can I calculate the exact air flow and velocity through a particular port in a head when used on a particular engine with a particular cam and intake and rod length and calculate the effect of the exhaust on it too etc? . . Nope, wouldn’t even have the faintest clue where to start, however, I do know a few things and anything I don’t know, I certainly know where to get the answer, besides, these things were not relative to the skill level I was teaching.

Anyway, apparently unbeknownst to you, there are actually humble ways to get ones message across, and then there are….well….not so humble ways to do it, and yours is not always, if ever, the humble one as is the case with your most recent post.




Quote:
Originally Posted by My427stang View Post
In the end, if he followed your initial parts choice it would have likely been an expensive 325 hp 420 not 375, when for similar money could get much better, and still appropriate performance
First of all my selection was not to get him the most amount of hp . . Also, just for the record, for his very specific app, I would suggest an intake that would basically be inbetween the Performer and Performer rpm.

Secondly, since you are making this claim, which can appear to some that I have absolutely no idea how to do a “performance build” on an FE engine, I would like you to post what you think my exact first combo was so everyone can see it and judge for themselves based upon the op’s requirements and NOT based upon how one would do a performance build on an FE engine.

Thirdly, I want you to post your EXACT suggestions including exact cam choice, exact intake, exact valve size, any port work, exact crank stroke, exact rod length, exact crankshaft damper, exact timing chain and exact exhaust . . I do NOT want general inferences, I want the EXACT part and description where applicable . . Bearings, and carb etc not necessary.

They MUST meet the following requirements.

His original heads.

An original cast iron looking intake . . yes I know he may use an aluminum one but that’s not the point.

Bottom and mid range power.

Rpm will never be over around 5,000.

Idle MUST be as smooth as his current box stock 1964 352 ci engine . . There are NO exceptions.

A moderate performance sound so it does NOT sound stock.

The trans is an auto.

The rear gear ratio is 2.80 or 3.00

Vehicle weighs around FOUR THOUSAND POUNDS with a full tank of gas and 200 lb driver.


I also want to know if you think it is more difficult to select the parts for his engine or ones for a 450 hp FE engine which in my experience, anyone with even modest experience in performance building experience can do.

.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-11-2015 at 03:27 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 153
Re: 352 to a Stroker

You need medication homey.

I'm done with this one dude....popping in valve guides for a rebuilder shop does not make you an expert on FE's. Sorry. I'd love to pop out a list of cam specs, rod lengths, and the like, but honestly, none of us want to be sucked into never-ending arguments. I've got a 511 inch Tunnel Port to deliver, as well as an all-aluminum 482 and a 445 short block to get started on. I don't have time to cater to chips on shoulders.

I understand that this has become a battle of pride for you, but writing complete pages of responses while foaming at the mouth doesn't accomplish anything.

The OP has shot me an email and I'll be more than happy to steer him in the right direction, as soon as he formulates a list of goals and a budget.

Have a wonderful weekend.
blykins is offline  
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

double post

Last edited by barnett468; 09-11-2015 at 06:45 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,260
Re: 352 to a Stroker

double post

Last edited by barnett468; 09-11-2015 at 06:44 PM.
barnett468 is offline  
post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Douglas, Ga
Posts: 1,065
Re: 352 to a Stroker

*laughs*

Hi Brent and Ross, nice of yall to help out Duke, hope his build goes well. Duke good call emailing Brent, he knows a thing or too. Ohh and make sure to find that little box for private messages :P

1976 F100 390/c6
1963.5 Galaxie 446FE/c6
DeepRoots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
352 stroker Ron W Galaxie Pages 3 12-09-2012 09:22 PM
352 stroker? puttster Stroker Engines 15 06-01-2010 06:06 PM
352 versus 352 360hp fakesnake Galaxie Pages 11 11-09-2005 07:38 AM
352 Stroker? 65Custom Galaxie Pages 6 09-08-2005 03:38 PM
352 Stroker? Swingcat64 Galaxie Pages 3 01-27-2005 07:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome