Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Granada going today after bolting up the frt. end stuff to the engine. I double checked everything, added the fluids and she fired right up after adding some gas to the carb and playing with the timing. My GF was also involved quite a bit as we worked to get it going today.

“Project Sleeper” had a really nasty idle with those open Hooker #6208’s. I was impressed with how it sounded. The 351W engine also had excellent oil pressure. I primed it before dropping the dist. in and was getting 60 psi. of pressure no problem turning my priming tool with a socket on a speed handle with my hands. After it fired up it was reading 60 also and once warmed up it had around 20 psi. but the instant you touch the throttle the gauge swings up to 60+ psi. This from a motor 25yrs. old with god knows how many miles, very impressive.

I did have to do some rewiring for the alt. The alt. was on different sides between the V8 and the six so after checking my parts car and the manual I had with the wiring diagrams I needed to lengthen two wires to reach the factory plug on my car to the plug that came off the harness for the alt. from the parts car. That worked out really well. Voltmeter gauge is showing 14+ volts when engine is running.

I didn’t get a chance to really drive the car yet since the parts car is blocking it in the driveway, but after adding almost 9 quarts of ATF to my rebuilt tranny I was able to shift it through all the positions and the tranny worked. I have forward and reverse and the tranny went into gear with some authority. I still need to install my tranny cooler and that will be done soon. I can’t wait to get the exhaust done so I can see how this tranny shifts those gears.

So stage one is pretty well complete. I need to put the hood on and then I’ll get a tow to my friends shop where I’ll get my 3” mandrel bend exhaust system done and I’ll be ready to rock with my stage one setup. I still hope I can find a dual plane intake cheap so I can use my friends 4 bbl. Carb on it. In a few months I will be looking closely at my stage 2 plans. Once I get the car back with the exhaust done I will post as to how the car drives.

I'm very happy!!!! (does it show???)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Cman check out the Barrie Flea Market coming up in June.I don't know if you've ever gone but theres lots of goodies,I wouldn't be surprised if you find a used intake for your motor.Theres also a 3 part newspaper called I SELL thats full of parts in the hi performance parts section.Most of the stuff isn't too far from T.O.I'm not to far away from you so when you get that granada rockin maybe we can go down to the strip for some test and tune thrashin,some Saturday.I've even got a couple of carbs you could try if you get an intake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well congratulations on a swap definetly worth wild. I did about the same thing with my 79 granada only it had 4 doors and the engine was pretty close to stock but what fun it was to get to show up some of those chevys in a 4 door granada.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why get a tow going to the muffler shop? Part of the fun of building a new motor is driving it around for a few days with open headers. You can't deny yourself the pleasure of making people walking on the sidewalk plug their ears when you go by.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for the support. I'm going to double check all the fasteners later today to make sure everything's good and I'll probably fire it up again and piss the neighbours off

dark7068, I don't have a scanner so there's no way of getting pics on the net but when I do I'll get them posted here somehow. It's not much to look at (just a 2 dr. Granada with some rust spots) , and I added ARE stock car style steel wheels 15" with nice rubber so it has that stk. car look to it and handles pretty good, should be better now with more power.

frdnut, I check out that flea market too a few times (bought my 3 ton floor jack there last year, heavy duty for only $105 Can.). The trip up there was a good test for "PS" last year soon after I got it on the road running better with the 6 cyl. Now with the V8 I'll have no problems keeping the speed up on those hills heading up on the 400 hwy.
I'll check that paper sometime and see if an intake is avail. Thanks for the offer on the carbs, and even later this year we can hook up for some dragstrip thrashing at Cayuga if you want, email me.

rbaney, cool you did one up too. I had one a long time ago that I put a hopped up 302 in (OE 302 was not up to snuff) and that had some people wondering. I can imagine what an extra 50 cubes is doing to do for this car.

70 Grande, Brian M, if I was closer to my friends's shop I would drive the car there with open headers, but he's about 40 mins away from where I am and there's no way I'll make it there without Mr./Miss Police Officer flagging me with major noise violation tickets. The GF has CAA so I only need to make sure that the car is not mobile for them to come tow it to wherever I want it to go. In my younger years I've done that sort of thing but now it not worth it to take a chance getting the car there under it's own power. Perhaps when I get my stage 2 motor in I'll drive it a bit around the neighbourhood with open exhaust but for now I just want to get the car back with an exhaust system so I can get it on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts