Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trouble shooting low oil pr. and an abrupt drop off after start-up.
i recently purchased the car from a person who was makeing a 1/4 car but gave up for a family and moveing away from a track.
351 c 4v heads reworked, 645 lift doug herbert roller with matched solid lifter, and a bunch of other raceing stuff ,i dont need to mention to be a good rooster!
Hmm, i pull the distributor, gear stays, i take it out with needle nose, so on, i make a jig to run the pump on a elec drill and watch a gauge 60# starts coughing air and i loose it all ,i here it dripping into what sounds like an empty pan.... it has a canton deep sump with i guess the right melling pump, i call tech there, and at canton..... Melling" i think you have an oil restriction problem" he explains that the oil cant return fast enough and is draining the pan..hmm. "the push rod oil holes are the wrong size"? I would think he meant to small...because he say's "restriction" but i have too much oil!!! so wouldnt that indicate they are tooo big????? any thought guys, new p-rods and readjusting everything up top would be way easier then a complete removal of the engine,a conversion wedged into a fox, and a breakdown of the engine .
im yet to contact Herbert cams to see if they supplied the rods with the "package"/ match set, would that be reutine? flipping one stone at a time here to prevent a catastrophe on this vintage power plant. orig.72clevor 4v
Also i failed to mention.. pulled d side bank (5-8) and ran the drill just feathering it and oil gushed out of the roller rockers, the 3rd and 6th rocker didnt flow, but were pinned tight,eg on 6 and intake on 7 im assuming with solid lifter they cant flow when under max pressure??? i dont want to turn the crank at this time untill the dist, is reinstald and i know more.. any thoughts? related issues? thanks,jay

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
I'd be worried the pickup is set high/bent/missing/bent low against the pan/etc... as a quick check, maybe just dump a extra quart in and see if that carries it thru- I wouldnt think the heads/valley would hold more than a quart unless there a shoprag left in there or something :) wrong dipstick might be a issue too.
it would take quite a while to pump 4-5 quarts up top... if its dropping in seconds, its either sucking air from above the oil level, or maybe pickups smashed tight against the pan...gotta let it sit long enough to seep full again...

if a extra quart hides the problem, pull the pan- bet the pickup got knocked up when assembling... if not, I'd still pull the pan, expect to see a plugged pickup, or bent so tight against the pan it cant suck enough oil.

just my 2 cents :)

*did you notice this was in the 2011 mustang thread?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes ,i thought when i clicked onto my last forum it was the all ford tech forum....righgt below the 11stang one
Thanks for your reply ! After pulling the valve covers and running the pump on a drill its apparent that copious amounts of oil are coming up with just a slow turn of the drill, i think its pumping oil faster then its returning,supposedly, this occurs often as they mfg push rods to restrict flow just for this reason. It is very strange though I admit.i can here the oil dripping into an empty pan when i stop the drill, watching a gauge all the time, presure climbs steady.... then sucks air,audibly, and rains back down..... like rain on a tin roof!

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
You're probably hearing it drip onto the windage tray, as the pickup can't get all the oil off the bottom to make that sound (normally). I would go to the 335 forum to get the lowdown on oiling mods, as the lifters are the top-end restriction. Think about it - if the lifter has a .020" passage, what good would .040" pushrods do? Anyway, without going into all the possibilities including ford4v429's good suggestion - I would pull it and tear it down to see what you have and how it was assembled. I'm not saying this is the case, but it wouldn't be the first time someone sold their problems. This is a bigger issue than dropping pressure a bit at the finish line, eh? There is only one way to be sure, and that's what I would do.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts