Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been messin around with building a stroker to get high compression out of and i got a good deal on a '69 block and with the short deck height the only way i can get the compression i want it says the piston will stick .001" out of the hole.......i have a .040 gasket(could get a thicker one).....Would that work???

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Check your piston to valve clearence. But it shouldn't be a problem unless you're running aluminum rods too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One thou is vertially zero deck height. Do you mean 10 thou?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My 408 is set to be .0035 out of the hole with a .039 gasket.

If your numbers are correct, a .039 quench is good.

As mentioned, check p/v clearance too.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Have you actually assembled the motor to get your measurements?
If not I think you'd be just guessing at best on clearance.

·
Registered
664 Posts
on my 302, the pistons stick .017 out of the hole, .039 gasket, so only .022 until it hits the head. 80k miles and no problems yet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i havnt assemlbed it yet.....i havnt bought the parts yet i jus got the block i was just seein what kind of bottom end part i needed but will i have to check the p/v clearance with the head gasket on since the piston barely sticks out? if so ill use the thinnest one i can get and then i can get thicker if the clearances arnt where they need to be

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
On a quote from Joe Sherman, you NEED at least 0.031" to 0.032" for a steel rod engine turning 6500 rpm, or there is a good chance the piston will be kissing the head.

As long as you have this much clearance (0.035" is optimum) you should be good to go.

Cometic sells gaskets of various thicknesses.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
pistons in my 351w stick out of the hole 5 thou-gives me a quench of 34 thou with a 39 thou gasket,youll be fine being outta the hole 1 thou,just remember piston to valve clearance has to be checked regardless

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
On 2006-08-31 15:37, coolfalcon wrote:
.001 is nothing. Mine stick out .011 and see's 7000 often and this is the third year like that. No problems.
Didn't you sell this car once? Buy it back, maybe????

edit....

Oops, I belive I'm thinking about somebody else who used to have a car about the same color. Yours was always primered and fast as hell. His had a mild 302, and was more of a show car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 9/1/06 8:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I ran my old 408 at .012" out...2 years of pounding the snot out of it and it never had a problem with the pistons hitting the head. 7400 max RPM, LIGHT pistons, and good steel rods.

.001" is NOTHING. Mics can be that far off...if not even further.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So guys what would you suggest is enough clearance for the piston to not hit the head?On Hardcore they tell me to use the .040 head gasket on a 0 deck block not my .030.Joe Shermann says that's a no no with the .030 gasket!! This is a Dart block with lightweight I beam rods(427).Rods good for a 1000 hp with the lightweight crank.All high dollar parts!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
If the engine is not in the car, now is the best time to change them. 'Standard' gasket thickness is around 0.039", which should put you solidly in the safe zone.

Here is the link to the answer from Joe Sherman. He has the screen name 'BIG JOE'.

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35350

·
Registered
522 Posts
N20mike,that was my post on the Hardcore and thank everyone for there replies!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ran347nosgt on 9/3/06 9:55am ]</font>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts