Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 ranger 2.3L single cab
normally it's something easy: battery, starter, gas, etc.. this truck was my uncles but he got into a car accident with it and didnt want it anymore. body is workable, but it doesnt start. so he said if i can start it i can have it.
has a brand new battery, new crank sensor because the old one was broken due to the crash. no power going to the coil pack, no power going to the crank sensor. i found the fuse in the fuse box that goes to the fuel pump and it barely turns on the light on my test light.
the inertia switch is on so i its not that either.

it turns over fine. it can turn over all day, but it refuses to start.
i figured it would be the ICM but i have yet to find it.

any ideas?

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
It sounds like you have a primary electrical failure affecting several components. Not a chance it will start until that is found and corrected. I would locate the main relay and test for power there, and work your way along until power is lost or found. I've had a couple cars that had internally damaged relays after accidents. By far the easiest way to do this testing is with a 2003 Ranger EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual). They tell you what everything is and where to find it in the truck. Find EVTMs online or often at your local library.

David

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you have a primary electrical failure affecting several components. Not a chance it will start until that is found and corrected. I would locate the main relay and test for power there, and work your way along until power is lost or found. I've had a couple cars that had internally damaged relays after accidents. By far the easiest way to do this testing is with a 2003 Ranger EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual). They tell you what everything is and where to find it in the truck. Find EVTMs online or often at your local library.

David

sweeeet. i'll head over to the library in the morning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay. so here's what ended up happening:

coolant was splashed all over the fuse box and caused one relay to short out. the truck was sitting for a while with the battery dead so the ECU got dis-programmed and would not send a ground to the crank sensor and the ignition coil.
everything was receiving power just no ground.

my friends uncle is a technician for ford ( i barely found out last week), so he did me the favor of bringing his computer, slash scanner, along with a ton of fuses/relays to check it out. he reset it to make a ground, loosed and moved the crank sensor around... tada! it started up. then to top it off he only charged me 120 bucks and he gave me a relay.

now the only thing left to do is paint the body and do alighment. its all straightened out and set to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts