Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, OK, an Explorer isn't really a "truck" but I thought I'd post in here anyways.

What's a good source for aftermarket cat-back systems for new style Explorers? The reason I ask is I'd like to swap out the factory muffler and tail pipe for a less restrictive unit. The factory muffler is about 3' long and 1 1/2' in diameter and looks like it belongs on a Peterbilt. Its nice and quite, but I'm sure it's restrictive as hell. I'm not looking for a loud system per say, but a less restrictive piece that will let the 4.6 breath would be nice. Thanks for any tips and ideas!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I'd bump this back to the top.
Does anybody have any experience with Gibson exhaust systems? Their side swept kit is around $250 and bolts up to the last cat. Looks like a descent way to go?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
i am running a dynomax on my 97. i love it great power and it sounds good. i only paid $190. look on http://www.explorerexpress.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonys10sec306 on 4/1/04 9:50pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tony. I'm love hearing the sound of the 4.6, but I just don't want the resonance. We run some pretty long hauls with the family and drumming inside the cab would piss EVERYBODY off! Thanks for your first hand experience.
Troy

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's slow at work so I thought I'd update this post. I ended buying a Hooker Aero Chamber 2.5" in and out muffler. I basically made my own cat back system to go with the muffler.

Analysis: Sounds excellent and pulls up through the revs quicker and easier. SOTP dyno says +~10hp and 10ft/lb of torque for any given rpm. Can't say for sure yet on mpg, but power is up with no interior drone. Muffler cost $57 from Jegs. Definitely a good investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts