Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I like it, however it needs a V-8 with 400 horse minumim and a six speed tranny. Make sure it handles decently and Ford has something to compete with the M5 at probally a lot lower price.

·
Registered
961 Posts
What I want to know is... what happened to the new Marauder?! That thing was awesome looking.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
That sedan looks like the Ford "500" concept and much like the Ford 427 concept that was linked up on this board not too long ago. To me it looks like a logical evolution for the Taurus/Sable sedan lines, but you don't see those names on anything.
It's a sharp looking concept. If they built it, my parents would buy one! Hell, I might even buy one if gas prices keep going up!

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be the "sister" to the 500 sedan. However, I like this sheetmetal MUCH better. The 500 prototypes I've seen look to much like Audi/VW clones to me.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
"Ford officials say future Mercury vehicles, such as the Montego sedan, will be more distinct from their Ford counterparts."

This is the key. Their marketing failures were all identical to the Ford counterparts except for name badges and maybe interior trim level. If they want Mercury to fly they have to invest some money in distinct body panels. Unique engine combinations are of interest to the guys on this board, but I think styling sells cars to the majority of people. They should look at the differences in styling between Fords and Mercs in the 60's to see how different the same platform can be.

I think the Marauder proves my point. Great engine, but it looked just like every cop car in town. It didn't sell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts