Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellows,

Im making a seperate thread here so everyone can see. My self and 63.5XL are in dire need of one of these pieces. Does anyone have one or a lead to get one? 63.5XL found a source where if he has an example, they can be molded and stamped out for a resonable fee.

So if anyone out there has one or a lead to purchase or even borrow to get a couple stamped out. I would be willing to pay for the borrowing also.

Thanks!

PS, ive got some great plans on modifying mine to work with the big input but if we can find the right part first, i would rather go that route.

·
Registered
718 Posts
McLeod makes an aftermarket one (part number 16935). It is not a direct fit but with a little reengineering, should work on your Galaxie. Summit has them and they sell for $63.99.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
McLeod's are for the Mustangs, you would have to use their fork and weld your galaxie, If we can get these stamped out nobody will have to go that route again.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've been following this thread, and altho I don't have one (so anything I write might just be nuttin new to you guys), I can offer some Ford partsman input:

The fork you need was # C4AZ-7515-A 1964 427 12" fork for big clutch, big input toploader-only. It's a flat fork similar to the small input #C3AZ-7515-B used on B/W FE's (like my '64). Sorry I have no pics of it right now!
If you find an unknown used one, it may have a stamping number on it like:
C4AA-7541-AA or similar.

Note: Not ALL o.e. forks had Ford engineering numbers on them.

Then in 1965, Ford # C5AZ-7515-B was the big input one ..I *believe*, but I only have 1960-64 parts book right now, my 1965-71 is on micro-fiche and I have no reader currently.:(
Stamping numbers on these will be like: C5AA-7541-BA, etc

Next in 1966 they came out with #C6AZ-7515-A, superseded in later yrs by C8AZ-7515-A, which is similar to what you need, has a bit more bend to it tho. The C8AZ replacement part uses the flat wave spring instead of the "wire bail" to retain it to the L-brkt on BH.

Those are all Galaxie forks, whereas:

The McCleod pieces are more like the #C8OZ & #DOOZ 428CJ, 429 forks --too much of a kink in it, longer, and requires the wave spring L-brkt and clutch rod with the big beveled tip.

All of this is mainly from my memory -which in this case, goes back to "the day", so forgive me if I gaffed on something.

This is one of those parts that, one day, you (or I) are gonna stumble across a WHOLe box of them on some old-timer's shelf because he saved EVERything! LOL

I'll update if I hear of anything worth adding to this.

Norm

·
Registered
751 Posts
Shucks guys, thanks. I'd just like to come up with something for ya!

Have you tried: 427 Galaxie Registry

It looks like one can possibly post a wanted ad, if nothing else? I did notice them offering a repop "427 lower clutch arm", but that could simply mean "rod", and another dead end.

Or call Greg Donahue down in FL: (352) 344-4329 Interesting man! I'm sure his mind is a plethora of 427 info, tips, and references !

The Registry, I have no experience with (yet), but I bet maany here at FMF have?

And then too, I assume you asked Perogie about one ?

I was even gonna post a photo of me whittling a clutch fork out of oak, just to show my desire to help -but, wifey saw that and groused "hey mr, if you got that much time, here (and then pointed at the vacuum cleaner)". :rolleyes:
Ok, back to vacuuming for me. Norm

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Or call Greg Donahue down in FL: (352) 344-4329 Interesting man! I'm sure his mind is a plethora of 427 info, tips, and references !

And then too, I assume you asked Perogie about one ?

I was even gonna post a photo of me whittling a clutch fork out of oak, just to show my desire to help -but, wifey saw that and groused "hey mr, if you got that much time, here (and then pointed at the vacuum cleaner)". :rolleyes:
Ok, back to vacuuming for me. Norm
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I called Donahue, and i gotta say hes not very pleasant to deal with. "well hell if i knew where to getem ide have'em"

Perogie told me no good, and good luck finding one.

David Kee told me to make one, which i might do. David was nice as cherry pie to deal with. I ordered a Hurst shifter kit through him. VERY VERY good service.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yep, I hear ya about Donahue, that's why I wrote "interesting" as a way to sound more like what my parents told me to say about people, hehe.

Methinks he might need some Minnesota snow to cool down the UV intake of that hot Florida sun, lol. Too MUCH Vitamin D maybe ?

Same feeling here about David Kee! And have heard that ALL over!

Ok, almost done whittling here ...at night so mama doesn't see me. ;)

The other hair brain late night thought I have is this:

Upgrade the fork pivot brkt from wire bail style to spring clip type, via one of these (those wire bails are a sum-bitch anyways, imo):

Then, try to find a 1970s application, such as Ford Truck 400M, that uses the 12" clutch setup, and maybe too, the large throw out bearing? I sorta only remember one t/o bearing being used in that era, and in that case, at least these forks are cheap (available thru Dorman Help parts line, etc) and you aren't spending $$ to make one .

1970s Ford truck:

Anyways ....just thinkin' out loud, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts