Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Psig:
I need a 3rd member for an open 3.00:1 nine inch rear end, 28 spline. The good thing is those should be everywhere since most people want a 3.50 or something for racing or whatever. Heck the only time I've seen the tires smoke on the shotrod since I've owned it was Saturday and I wasn't even the one at the wheel and it was jacked up and digging a hole in the driveway at FE's. LOL Shows what a hotrod I am! LOL
LOL... wussy! Since you're in Tacoma, one of my fav 'yards is Pull-A-Part, and their 9" centers are under $30 for any gear ratio - Trak-Loc or not. There should be several there any given day of the week. I was going there today, but have to finish working on this little Ranger, and get the top of the engine back on. :( Your trip is a good excuse though. Any reasonable opportunity to see family should be taken. Have fun!

David

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
I ran across this thread when searching for the website that was posted comparing fuel mileage for cars today with cars from 10-15 yrs ago. It was like a calculator you pick the year, make and model. Haven't found it yet but still had to reply to get this back to the top now that fuel is $3 and up now on average.

Deb

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I ran across this thread when searching for the website that was posted comparing fuel mileage for cars today with cars from 10-15 yrs ago. It was like a calculator you pick the year, make and model. Haven't found it yet ...
Here you go - FuelEconomy.gov

The listings are 'official', but are supplemented with owner reports. Some of the comparisons will blow you away! I about fell over when I saw the 2008 Honda Civic (IIRC) had about the same mileage as the 1988 Cadillac I was trying to sell. Maybe I'll keep it!

David

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
I think it's that the more safety equipment, tv and stereo's they ad the heavier the cars get so less fuel efficient they become! Might hang onto it as in another few years it will equal or greater than the average new car out there!

And in response to the pull or pick a part or whatever it is called, i know where it is now, right at the end of my street! :) Now that they have the other end of our street blocked off i see it more now even.

What ever sight it is i'm trying to find i looked up the estimted fuel mileage of the car we had in '98 to the same car 2009 and the mileage was 5 mpg less on the newer car. Old car got 35 est mpg and the new was 28 or 30. There was a couple times we got 42 out of that little ricer. But after i had the shotrod in hand again we needed something to haul it with so got the truck. Sure miss that mileage though!

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
This isn't the same calculator and it's numbers are different but still not that big of improvement over the '98 model. I remember the sticker on the window saying 32 or 35 hwy but the new 2009 was less. But still even in this one it's only a 3 mpg improvement from the '98. 32 for the '98 and 35 mpg for the 2009

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Don't forget to compare power numbers too - that's important to make a comparison.

And I've never been one to complain about gas prices - because it's a good I choose to consume - and in great quantities. I've driven over 10,000 miles in the last 2.5 months. When gas prices go up, I'll adjust the budget or adjust mileage accordingly, just like if I were used to buying seafood and a hurricane hit or fisherman went on strike and the price went up, I'd either tough it out or buy something else.

There's no sense in complaining when the market changes the price of a good, whether it's demand driven or a set price. If I don't consume when things are more expensive, others do the same and they can't sell enough at that price level so they drop it eventually. If I drive I choose to drive, and there's no mystical group of people that are violating my rights - I'm purchasing a good produced by a company that can set its prices as it sees fit - like just about everything. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
I don't buy it usually til i have to. If I could afford it then it wouldn't matter. But i just leave the shotrod sit and save the gas for somewhere i really really want to go or have to go. :) That works too just like tossing something in the freezer if freezable and saving it for that special dinner you want to make in the future. Actually guess we all do that to a point with anything. Save something for whatever event or occasion.
But as Psig said, it's amazing how little the mpg has changed when we are constantly being told that the automakers are being forced to build more economic vehicles and we should all conserve fuel, buy that hybrid etc. I also understand the automaker side because you can't save fuel when you are constantly having to update and revamp the safety of the vehicle which adds more weight to it and in turn it decreases the mileage you gained because of it.
Thinking of all the safety features added makes me wonder what it's going to be like when the cars that turn their headlights on corners, brake when obstaticals are in the way and other things that normally is done by the driver, becomes more common place. People don't pay much attention now, seems scarey to think of those cars being common! Just saw a lady a couple days ago doing crossword puzzles while she was driving!! Probably add an extra pound of weight in warning stickers for all the new stuff so they can't get sued if someone thinks the cars have auto-pilot! They almost do already! lol

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
gas price in San francisco bay area right now is around $3.50 a gallon..

how you like them apples...:cry:

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Gaddamn Oil companies trying to keep their profits up in the hundreds of Billions range....

Soem fuctard idiot said that they think the fuel will hit an average of $3.20 per gallon country wide before finally stabilizing.... Said that not a year back.

THAT is why nobody can do anything about it... Someone said it and that makes it as good as a Wiki Fact... so it's gotta be true, and no reason for us to complain about it right?

Damn damn damn. And they say we're in a recession! How the hell do prices keep INFLATING if we're in a recession and our pay checks aren't inflating to cover the costs?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Would you believe Gas is $8.77 a gallon over here in the UK! Now THAT is expensive! :cry:
The Government over here tell us there hands are tied & we should all buy electric vehicles! (what we are meant to do with the cars we already have I don't know!)
Theres an 'experiment' going on on national tv at the moment to drive an electric car from London to Edinbrough which is, get this, going to take 3-4 days! (usually it only takes a day!) So that the batteries can be recharged (It takes 6 hours!) They have to take the 'old roads' not the motorways/freeways because theres no where to recharge cars on the service centers, & there not sure they can actually make the last section because theres no charging points between Berwick & Edinbrough!
So you can see theres lots of 'joined up thinking' Re Alternative fuels, & its us moterists that get to pay for it at the pumps!
Think My Mustang will only see the road on the 2 sunny days we get over here (they call it summer!)
Oh & another 'bright idea' the government are considering is Continuos insurance, You have to insure your car whether its see's the road or not! something about stopping people driving without insurance!
Now wheres the exit from this stupid expensive country!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Our pump price recently jumped to $1.119 / l (CDN). The last time prices were that high, and a little higher, the price of oil was $40 - 50 (US) higher than it is today. Hmmm? With the Canuck Buck and Greenback being around par that is $4.24/ US Gal, or $5.09 / Imp Gal.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Companies with almost-monopolies have been around since the beginning of time, in fact, it's better now than it has been in the past especially turn of the century-1920's, in terms of political corruption and collusion in business.

The problem is now, people talk a lot, but nobody is willing to give up anything for how they feel. If they were, things would be a bit more reasonable, but consumers are used to consuming, and are unwilling to give up that because it's their "American Right" to buy more crap than they could ever possibly need. Which, I suppose, it is, but it's a self-made hole.

I expect gas to go up and down with as much regularity and predictability as the stock market - namely, no pattern at all in the short term with an upward trend in the long run and big drops here and there.

The higher the production, the more energy is needed. The more energy needed, the more the demand, and the higher the price. Take a look at history:

???-1800's : Those with naval superiority get the most resources and make the most money (Navies of Spain, Italy, and Britan, corporations including East India Trading Company) control of the seas/technology that lets you travel gives them control of the economy.

1800's-1900's: Those with control over the railways get the most resources and make the most money (this includes railway, steel companies, meat/packing industries,manufacturing companies, etc) Control of manpower and shipping facilities allows these companies to take control of the economy.

1900s-now: Those with control over the energy that powers all these forms of transportation get the most resources and make the most money (oil companies, car companies, etc) Transportation companies fall because energy is now the limiting factor. Before it was technology, or manpower, or skillset. Now we've come so far on those fronts that the actual power that makes it possible is the limit - and the ultimate one. Whoever has the power makes the rules, literally.

It's just a progression of what's been happening since the beginning of time, only this time, we can't find a more fundamental quality than energy to rely on, our technology is heavily reliant on these sources, and hundreds of years of industrial progress has put us on this path. Even if we manage to "go green" someone will still be in charge of the electricity, and someone will be making the big money. It's just the nature of how it is.

And unless people want to go off the grid, there's not much of a chance for that to change - if you choose to consume a good that only a few people produce, you're stuck in terms of what you can get pricewise. And very few people choose not to consume more actual energy than they produce, so naturally there is an imbalance.

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Well now that same idiot is saying it's going to be $5.00 a gallon next year. No surprise really. But compared to other countries we should consider ourselves lucky i guess. But it's in our nature to complain! :) I mean what would we talk about if it wasn't for things like fuel prices etc.?

Deb

Gaddamn Oil companies trying to keep their profits up in the hundreds of Billions range....

Soem fuctard idiot said that they think the fuel will hit an average of $3.20 per gallon country wide before finally stabilizing.... Said that not a year back.

THAT is why nobody can do anything about it... Someone said it and that makes it as good as a Wiki Fact... so it's gotta be true, and no reason for us to complain about it right?

Damn damn damn. And they say we're in a recession! How the hell do prices keep INFLATING if we're in a recession and our pay checks aren't inflating to cover the costs?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts