Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the drag strip this weekend just for some fun and wondered if you guys had some tips (less pressure/more pressure,burnout/no burnout) on racing with radial tires. They are Dunlop D40's, they are pretty hard tires, I know not the best for traction but I cant afford anything else right now. I might be able to afford some adjustable drag shocks, do you think this would help some or kind of pointless because of the tires. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The drag shocks should help with weight transfer which helps traction, but dont know how they are for the street. I run a 245 50 16 BFG, and have run them with as little as 10LBS air pressure, dont know what is best but I do know that not letting any air out is asking for a more squirlly start with more tire spin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning to swap in the drag shocks at the track and then swap back in the old monroe's for the drive home.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I wouldn't let to much air out of your radials,if you do the tread seems to cup and your left with only the outside edges of the tire making contact.Spin your tires for a few feet on some nice clean pavement and then inspect your black marks you laid down.Experiment until you get the full tread width. Too much air will leave you with only the centre of the tread touching.Keep to a very light burnout just enough to clean them off(I know everyone loves a smokeshow but save it for the slicks).Have a light foot off of the line until it hooks,if you have a standard trans sometimes it helps to shortshift to second gear to get it hooked.Keep trying different techniques and watch your 60fts to tell you what your doing right or wrong
Don't know if the drag shocks will help or not with these tires but you can probably leave them on the car if they're only on the rear.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 2/6/02 2:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Most suspension parts aren't really that effective unless they have a tire that will allow them to work. Tires are the #1 thing that can be done for traction. No other single modification even comes close.

If you MUST run radials, the most important thing to remember is to STAY OUT OF THE WATER! Drive around it, and do a short burnout on a dry section of the track. The tread of your tires will sling water all over the wheelwells. The water will also stay in the grooves of the tires. What happens is the water drips out of the wheelwells and the tire grooves as you are sitting at the line, and you end up launching in a small puddle of water! Oh yea, the other racers don't appreciate it either.
The front tires will track water to the starting line as well.

When using SLICKS (and fully treaded radials up front), I'll drive around the water, then back into it with my rear wheels only to do the burnout.

Street radials don't work well with low pressures. Personally, I wouldn't want to go less than around 30psi.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts