Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the 1 wire alt. kit, I have been looking at the one from Mustangs plus, and it looks intreging. Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Which 1 wire kit do they have? I looked at their site and couldn't find one.

I have a nice one wire conversion on the alt in my 69 Mustang. It's a small regulator about the size of a match book. I bought mine locally for $30 from an alternator / starter shop. The exact same one is sold by falconparts.com Here it is:
http://www.falconparts.com/search_result.asp?PRODUCT_ID=F7078
Instructions for it:
http://www.falconparts.com/One%20Wire%20Alternator.htm

It works great. Charges fine and got rid of a tangle of hacked up 30+ year old wiring.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I read the instructions right, there are complications from removeing the old voltage regulator, I thought the idea of the 1 wire unit was to get rid of the old unit, and not just add a second which in affect you are doing with the one wire unit. Is this assesment accurate. I am not a automotive electrician, if I goof up a connection or cross the wrong wires I could really gaffle something up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's no problem to install. A few wires and that's it. Takes 3 minutes once you have the alt off. The only hitch might be if you want to use the factory warning light. If so, you have to trace which wire to use for that.

I hooked it up, reinstalled and then unplugged the factory regulator on the fender and removed it. I traced the wiring harness back from it and cut it off just before it entered the main harness. Taped it up and it looks fine.

Get one, you won't be sorry.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 3/5/02 6:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I shall give it a go, I dont mean to be over cautious but there have been times I have been lured into buying a part that is advertised, but they dont tell you things that might change your mind, and you end up fiddling around and finding out that if I had known this in the first place I probably would not have made the purchase.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts