Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
oops. I was able to figure what all the clanking was after I stopped and saw the smoke coming out of the LR brake drum. Any serious damage done, do you think? How will I be able to tell?

·
Registered
602 Posts
You'll do a clockwise 180 next time you stomp on the brakes. :D

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:unsure: dang, so it's good news and bad news?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Its probably fine, ive done this many times in my mustang and galaxie, ford e-brakes from this era are notoriously ineffective. Just check the drum and shoes, and if it inspects ok, re-install and adjust it up again. You'll know if its damaged as soon as you pull the drum off

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it out for a spin (e-brake off) and did some reverse stops to let the brakes adjust themselves. Then a drive around the neighborhood and everything felt normal. So I guess it is.

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
I rarely use mine and when I do this exactly what happens! I forget to release it then think, someone is burning their clutch or their brakes. Annnnd, of course, it's ME!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
168 Posts
Been there, once. I don't use it unless I am on a hill now, too much potential to do it again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I installed the optional parking brake warning light and switch so that it would illuminate, reminding me the parking brake was on. I also made sure I had the correct "blinky" bulb that flashes instead of just illuminating. I lost count how many times I still drove with the parking brake applied.

Reactions: puttster

·
Registered
90 Posts
not sure if it was an option.. but i have an e-brake warning light on mine. Im glad its there, thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
not sure if it was an option.. but i have an e-brake warning light on mine. Im glad its there, thats for sure.
Hello m in sc,

It was an option for the 3rd generation full size Fords (65-68). You can still find the dealer kits on E-Bay from time to time. With the kits you want to be sure all the parts are there especially the bi-metal contact that mounts on the parking brake assembly. The little blinker bulb #257 can be a bit pricey now-a-days to find new. The best I could find was about 5 dollars per bulb shipped on-line recently as I bought some extras a few weeks back after installing the parking brake warning lamp on my '68 XL.

Cheers

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hello m in sc,

It was an option for the 3rd generation full size Fords (65-68). You can still find the dealer kits on E-Bay from time to time. With the kits you want to be sure all the parts are there especially the bi-metal contact that mounts on the parking brake assembly. The little blinker bulb #257 can be a bit pricey now-a-days to find new. The best I could find was about 5 dollars per bulb shipped on-line recently as I bought some extras a few weeks back after installing the parking brake warning lamp on my '68 XL.

Cheers
DesertXL, is it possible that these bulbs are 14V? If so, there's a seller on eBay that sells 257 blinking bulbs in 10 pc. lots for $12.75 shipped. They're described as being used on Lionel trains but they look exactly like the ones I purchased years ago.

Oh, and you're right it's blinker not blinky as I thought they were called.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
DesertXL, is it possible that these bulbs are 14V? If so, there's a seller on eBay that sells 257 blinking bulbs in 10 pc. lots for $12.75 shipped. They're described as being used on Lionel trains but they look exactly like the ones I purchased years ago.

Oh, and you're right it's blinker not blinky as I thought they were called.
Howdy 289Galaxie,

That's a really good find you have done. Those are the bulbs and at a really good price. I would encourage anyone needing spares to buy a pack before they are gone. It looks like there are 8 packages left.

You can also use these for the OIL pressure lamp or HOT lamp in your dash to really grab your attention.

Cheers and thank you again for finding these.

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
I have the warning light down by the handle to release the brake, I never look down there very often...obviously! LOL If it were dark I would see the light but day time, nope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts