Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for me ofcourse! Dad wants to do a project. He says it is an unlimited budget, because he will do it over the course of a long time (few years I am sure). He wants to do a Chevy motor because he feels more comfortable doing a Chevy Motor because when he was a kid, that is what they did/had. I am trying to convince him of a BBF motor though. He really wants to build a small block becuase he says it is cheaper. (there is no budget, but still the cheaper route is better...nothing will be done half ass). All I can think of when he talks of this project is Mr Cook's Battle Star. The car will be driven on the street but just to have fun in...Ie Greg Cooks car. I tell him he can build the big block less radical, and not rev it so high and probably get away with pump gas still. But I think his mind is still set on the SBC motor. Can you guys give us a list of what to build to get a 60's year mustang in the 10s? And approx. prices. He wants consistant 10's out of it. Next I get to go to the Chevy forums, and talk there and ask the same Q's.

Thanks a lot guys!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
749 Posts
uuuummmm

well you mention a 60's stang as the car...I go 67/68 notchback as they are the cheapest and lightest of the 60's stangs that you can bolt a windsor,cleavland or BBF into. ANY street legal smallblock 60's stang or camaro that can run 10's NA will be barely streetable. That cost diff with a loose budget like you mention is not enuff to even matter. FWIW...I would use the 67/68 notch with a 460/C6. If you look at Greg Cooks other car...his 67 lane with a "mild" 460 it runs mid 11's with ease. The 67/68 notchback is somewhat lighter then a 66/67 lane and has more user friendly wheelwells. An engine like Greg's tweaked abit more in the notchback would run 10s easy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What about taking a late model 351, stroking it some. going with a fuel injected blower and maybe a decent shot of nos? that should get you where you want...Just dont know about the streetability. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wants it NA. I keep offering my dad my 4v DOAE heads...but he is still not sure. I REALLY want him to do a 460 though!

Jeff Given

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The amount of BBF speed parts out there are growing daily. I have a streetable 525 (Motorsport 514 bored additional 10 over) with a BDS 14-71, Edelbrock heads,pair of worked over Carters, Comp-Cam, MSD low-pro distributor and crank trigger, and lots more. Being in Canada, the prices in our dollar is high but when converted it is reasonable. Tell Dad that the horsepower from a BBF for the street has hit 1273 at the ringgear (so-far, more to come)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2002-02-20 20:28, Greg Cook wrote:
I have about $1200.00 in my 66 Fairlane 460.

It's a backyard built lo-po '70 Lincoln with a cam kit, intake, 850 D.P., and headers.

It went a best of 11.48.

I never had the Fairlane on a scale, but I'm sure a Mustang is a bit lighter. If the Mustang is 500 lbs lighter, you're at 10.98.

The chassis on the Fairlane is stock except for slapper bars.

I know this doesn't answer you question directly, but you can use it as a baseline to see what you need to go 10s.

Just a little more motor, a little less weight, a little chassis work, and you're easily in the 10s. Especially with an unlimited budget.

BTW, the Fairlane was driven to St Ignace 800 miles one way and Woodward 500 miles one way with a change to a 3.50 gear from the 4.11s.
Greg,
can you give me more deatiled info on the 1,200 $ 460? My father will end up doing the motor (well assembling) on his own. He just got the bug up his ass to do it one day at the race track while BSing with another old man watching me race the Mach 1
Anyhoo...tell me more, about the whole motor, and setup, and I will be sure to FWD him the msg. He told me tonight, that he wants me to go home with him for the summer, get my mach 1 running better (go to the drags everyother weekend) and work on his motor (SBC BBC BBF whatever it may be) with him...so I am just getting a little antsy I think

Thanks a lot!

Jeff Given

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Fat Albert!...Hey hey hey! or you're a tall 6'6" skinny mo fo with some nice cars.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
You guys are giving Greg a bad time about being 200 pounds. Hell I wished I weighed 200 pounds. I would have no bodyfat. Not everybody is 6 foot tall and weigh 130 lbs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Being 200 lbs is not bad, I'm 225 and am 6'2". There is a difference if you work out or if you veg out.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am 19, 6' 220...guess I am one of the heavier fat asses here? Ohh well. Greg, I will talk to him about this. Nothing over 6000 RPMs, stock rods, nice Hydraulic cam, and a set of heads. Nothing too big. The heads you are talking about....are those ever found in the wrecking yards? He has a GREAT friend that owns a few of them, and has ins at all the others in So Cal. so that will be the place of the block, and possibly heads. Thanks a lot!

Jeff Given

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Boy, oh boy did I stir a pot this time......
Just so all you skinny people don't feel bad, I"m 6'0' and 228 lbs. Fatter 'n hell. I keep telling momma that I can still see my d--k, so it ain't all bad. (don't use mirrors either).

Oh, yeah, add old and bald to the equation, and what a loser I turn out to be. At least I got some decent looking kids. (for what that's worth)..........

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Hey Greg, at least I won't slow your car down any when I sit my 6'1" 160lb ass in your oversized land yact. Hell, that's why I leave the full interior in my cars and add an extra layer of insulation under the carpets since I don't weigh that much, I don't have to remove weight from the car to go faster
GOTCHA!

"Big Chill" sounds a bit heavy. Is that why your building a light Capri to offset the added driver weight

Don't even get me started, I can get nasty if need be. BRING IT ON FAT ALBERTS!!!!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kent....might wanna watch it...they are a lot bigger then you
Hell Polar Bear has you by 110 lbs. If he got ahold of you, I think you might be dead

Jeff Given

·
Registered
553 Posts
On 2002-03-01 02:00, 89 coupe wrote:
They may be bigger but I can run faster

Yea but I run a 4.7

Coupe where the hell have you been? Tried sending you a few emails but they always get returned? Did you ever hear from "Bad"? Whats the scoop?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polar68 on 3/1/02 9:28pm ]</font>

·
Registered
553 Posts
I see I've been dragged into this. That's fine, Chicken Coupe
, I'd rather buy a fiberglass hood then look like Ally McBeal. As of this morning, 249# of raw steel and sex appeal baby!!!! Unlike Greg, I cannot afford to round up....
[/quote]

Chicken Coupe!! Ally McBeal! Sex Appeal?!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts