Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to MonsterMach today, and he was telling me about a 12" clutch. I am wondering now, what is the differance going to be? Are the flywheels differant? Can I still get a hold of one at the wrecking yards? Thanks a whole bunch!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Guys ... I am assuming Ford (like the "bowtie guys&quot
has a 12" clutch for heavy truck applications ... that is the point of the "Q"

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Ok guys ... here's the deal ... we need some input

Jeff wants to go to the 4 speed ...

I am thinking since a 12" clutch is available ... and as near as I can tell the Bell and all for the application will accomodate the 12" ... why not go straight to 12" to get the added grip and durability ... especially since he has to go out and buy parts from scratch anyway.

Any input appreciated

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will get as much as I can from the wrecking yards...I am trying to do this as low buck as I can...poor student here doing a rich mans sport

Jeff Given

·
Registered
283 Posts
The only 12" clutch I see available was from a 429/460 application. You may want to go to your local parts place and do a little research. See if they have the 11" and 12" sets in stock, and compare the height of the fingers on the pressure plate, the bolt pattern of the p-plate, and other little things. One other thing to consider is the increased inertia of the 12" disc. It will be more difficut for the synchros in the tranny to slow it down, so you may run into a shifting issue. Because this is a new project for you, you may want to exercise the KISS approach, and get the parts that are meant to fit your car, and monkey with the custom stuff later when time, money and experience allows. Nothing like having your car disemboweled and the parts you bought don't fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts