Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a Blaster 2 coil firing my MSD Ready to Run dist.with no box.

1) I hooked into the factory coil plug from the firewall and ran a wire from the red/green plug to the coil +. I tested the plug at 12V with the key on. I then tested the coil + and still have 12V at coil with key on. Well, then I tested the coil + with the car running and the coil + went down to 6V.
Then I spliced a wire at the ignition switch red/green (about 1" from the switch) and ran it to the coil plus to bypass the resistor wire. I checked to coil + again and now read 4.5 volts with car off, 12.23V key on car off, and 11.83V car running. Is this OK?

2) I was told the .7 ohm Blaster 2 coil should not be used and that I should use a coil with about 1.5 ohms. I was told by MSD this Blaster 2 is fine in a 1966 Fairlane, can someone explain this to
me?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You run the ohm coil and voltage recommended for the MSD ready to run dist.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The instructions that came with the ready to run MSD should have told you what coil and voltage to use.

I'm not sure what your saying.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If you have dist part number 8352 then use a .700 ohm coil and wire it to a 12 volt source per instructions.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
1: If you have a Stock ignition and Distributor, use the Resistor wire that COMES on the car naturally. Simply REPLACE the old coil with the new.

2: The Blaster 2 doesn't have a built in resistor If you are running points or a Mallory Unilite ignition system then use the original wire for the old coil and run it.

3: If you have an upgraded Duraspark ignition then there is no need for the ballast reducer that comes with the B2 coil, Ford wiring systems up to the 1970's had the resistance built right in....

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
1)... I checked to coil + again and now read 4.5 volts with car off, 12.23V key on car off, and 11.83V car running. Is this OK?
No. You should not read any voltage with key OFF. Probe your wires for voltage cross-feed when key OFF to find the source. Fix it. The voltage both key ON and RUN are fine.
2) I was told the .7 ohm Blaster 2 coil should not be used and that I should use a coil with about 1.5 ohms. I was told by MSD this Blaster 2 is fine in a 1966 Fairlane, can someone explain this to
me?
The distributor can use any HEI-rated coil, such as the Blaster 2, Ford TFI, or GM HEI coils, so you're fine there. You should use the coil type and wiring that is compatible with the triggering (distributor) system, and you are.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts