Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm trying to add a power terminal under the dash of my 67. Relay is wired as follows:

30- 12g power in from starter relay
86- 16g Key signal (same connection as voltage meter)
85- 16g Ground with starter relay ground
87- 12g Power to terminal block

Will work fine for the first key turn, then no power out from 87. I've switched relays with one ran to the horn and same results.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Hello Almost. Welcome to the forums. Well... need some general info:

• Have you connected anything to the output terminal block?
  • Is the circuit fused?
  • Does anything else 'not work' when the relay fails to operate?
  • Have you tested the terminal block for accidental grounding?
  • Have you tested your other wiring to the relay for proper results?
  • Have you tested the "bad" relays to find any failures?
  • Exactly what relays are you using?
David

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
PSIG,

Nothing connected to terminal block yet

Circuit from Batt to relay is, NOT from relay to Terminal

Nothing else is hooked to relay only other add on are horns and they work (on their own relay)

Not sure how to test for accidental grouding

All other wires to realy work properly

Not sure I have a "bad" relay at the moment, when I switch it for the normal horn relay it works as it should, but the horn is a constant and not a key on

30a relay from oreilly's, not sure of brand.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I can't add anything but would like to know where, exactly, is the horn relay? thx

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Will work fine for the first key turn, then no power out from 87. I've switched relays with one ran to the horn and same results.
Any suggestions?
Not sure what you mean by this, but I'm assuming it works when the key is in the run position but not in start? You have the terminals wired right so good there, sounds like you just have an issue with your trigger wire if it's not doing what you want. I don't see an issue with it just being energized as is. Not 100% sure but I'm using a wire (Cant remember the color, but it's in my notes in the garage) to trigger a few relays for some accessory circuits and one of them is a fuel pump. I could check my notes and let you know tomorrow night.

Do you remember what color the wire was that you wired 86 to?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what you mean by this, but I'm assuming it works when the key is in the run position but not in start? You have the terminals wired right so good there, sounds like you just have an issue with your trigger wire if it's not doing what you want. I don't see an issue with it just being energized as is. Not 100% sure but I'm using a wire (Cant remember the color, but it's in my notes in the garage) to trigger a few relays for some accessory circuits and one of them is a fuel pump. I could check my notes and let you know tomorrow night.

Do you remember what color the wire was that you wired 86 to?

A few times now with key turned to Acc the terminal block powers, but once I start or turn to off position and back to Acc the block is powerless.

I wish I knew exactly what wire I have 86 on, it's yellow and the same one my aftermarket volt meter was using when I got the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to make it work correctly connecting key on wire with ones going into ignition switch. Apperantly the starter relay and voltage meter key on sources were not good enough.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
:tup: Cool - saved me a lot of typing. ;) Sometimes the simplest solutions...

David

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Ok sounds good. I'm using the Red w/Yellow trace off my switch for the pump since it's not on in accessory. From my schematics the yellow wire is the feed to the switch and should have power at all times. Black green goes to the fuse panel and would work in run and accessory.

Glad it's working.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now the only problem is volt meter is no longer working off that yellow wire. Didn't pay attention to when it stopped working, but of course the dash was back together when I found out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found the ground to volt meter was bad, reconnected and its working again. Just updating in case anyone else had a similar problem. Fuel gauge has failed now, it moves just a little when key its turned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts