Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a killer deal on some rims but don't want to waste the time to drive to see them without knowing if they'll fit. The bolt pattern is good, there are 2 15 inch rims...good. The 2 rims for the front would be 14 inch rims. Will the 14s fit a stock front end with drum brakes?

Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Later ford rims on a older ford car ? If so some of them such as a newer mustang placing on a 64 galaxie will not work. The inside rim will hit the tie rods and wheels will drag. How so, cause I just tried and thats what I got. Wheels fit though, just need to use a spacer which I do not never use.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I found a killer deal on some rims but don't want to waste the time to drive to see them without knowing if they'll fit. The bolt pattern is good, there are 2 15 inch rims...good. The 2 rims for the front would be 14 inch rims. Will the 14s fit a stock front end with drum brakes?

Thanks
Darren
What kind of wheels are they? Aftermarket?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I found a killer deal on some rims
As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as a killer deal on 14in wheels.

They'll look dumb, and there's NO good Galaxie-size 14in tires any more.

There's not even many decent 15in tires.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
It's all personal preference. I got 14s, i guess cause that's what it came with, wish i'd gone 15 but wasn't going bigger, not my style. I did have 14 front 15 back to try to get the back up for the previous 30 yrs. I like rubber on the tires so when i hit that curb... But then also not that picky, shiny easy to clean and that's sort of it..sorta. lol My ultimate want for wheels are plain ol chrome with baby moons.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's all personal preference. I got 14s, i guess cause that's what it came with, wish i'd gone 15 but wasn't going bigger, not my style. I did have 14 front 15 back to try to get the back up for the previous 30 yrs. I like rubber on the tires so when i hit that curb... But then also not that picky, shiny easy to clean and that's sort of it..sorta. lol My ultimate want for wheels are plain ol chrome with baby moons.
The '64s came with 14s, it was the last year that did.

The biggest problem with 14in wheels these days is that there are no good tires in 14in Galaxie sizes any more, unless maybe you resort to one of the vintage-tire suppliers. The only 215/75-14 left in Tire Rack's catalog is a Chinese-made trailer tire. There's not too many 15in sizes that approach the 27in diameter of the stock tires, for that matter.

Has anyone yet tried a set of late '90s-2002 16x7 Crown Vic cop-car wheels and 225/60-16 tires? They should be the right size...

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
The '64s came with 14s, it was the last year that did.

The biggest problem with 14in wheels these days is that there are no good tires in 14in Galaxie sizes any more, unless maybe you resort to one of the vintage-tire suppliers. The only 215/75-14 left in Tire Rack's catalog is a Chinese-made trailer tire. There's not too many 15in sizes that approach the 27in diameter of the stock tires, for that matter.

Has anyone yet tried a set of late '90s-2002 16x7 Crown Vic cop-car wheels and 225/60-16 tires? They should be the right size...
There is a 225/70R-14 made in our Grand Prix line (raised white letter) that is built by Cooper (was a factory size on 2WD Ranger's for many years) but the 14 inch options are diminishing. We also carry a whitewall 215/75R-14 made by Cooper as well. I would still look for 15-inch wheels though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts