Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 157 bell that mounts to the pump, my tranny had a case mounted 164 bell. Can I just mount the 157 to the pump of the tranny I'm using
thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
it'll work just fine. You can use a pump-mounted bell on a early case-mount trans, but you cant use a case-mount bell on a later pump-mount case.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure if this applies but...In order to pass SFI requirements, I purchased "the wheel" (157 tooth) from JW Transmission and well as their "Ultrabell". When the parts arrived, the flexplate was sent to the machine shop to be used for balacing the motor. The Ultrabell was mounted, and once the engine was completed, we went to stuff it in the car. It would not go in. Come to find out that they had accidentally shipped us a 164 tooth flexplate and a 157 bell housing. To remedy the problem, I then exchanged the bell housing for a 164 tooth. Everything went in just fine. I then received a call, to make sure I had added the proper spacers on the torque converter, to make sure the front to back spacing was correct. It was not. JW had to fabricate a steel spacer ring to compensate for the difference in housings. It was then welded on to the converter.
Any concerns here?

Ron

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The only concern I have when you weld to a 'closed' item such as a torque converter, you have no way of knowing if there was fluid that burnt that will clog a passage later or maybe a flake of metal that happens on the back side somes times when you weld.

Personally, I wouldn't have welded the spacer. I know on my BBF with the wheel, PG ultra bell and converter, the spacer just slipped on and then into the pilot of the crank. There was no way it was going to be lost or move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts