Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i bought a C4 complete with bell , torque convertor and flexplate.
Its 60's transmission with vent tube coming from the case but has 160 tooth plate. Im not sure what this was off, any ideas here? BTW ring gear is attached to flexplate not convertor which threw me off the I6 route but prepared to be wrong :)

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
If you're positive it's a 160 (not 157 or 164-tooth), then it's for an early 260 or 289 5-bolt block and bellhousing. Check the bellhousing casting number.

David

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the number on the bell and it has RF D7bp 7976AA
The bell has 6 bolt holes for mounting to the block (plus 2 dowel holes), does that mean the bell is a 6 bolt or is 5 bolt just a block thing?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Correct. The D7BP is a standard 6-bolt bell pattern for case-fill C4 trannies that will fit SBF and any I6 or V6 with the same pattern. It uses a 157-tooth flex plate.

David

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, it looks like its a mongrel then lol . With the breather pipe coming from the case and the definate 160 tooth f/p it's obviously had a bell swap to fit a 6 bolt later block.

Tony

·
Registered
339 Posts
I believe ford changed over to a 6 bolt in july or august of 1965. My 65 fairlane with a 289 had a 6 bolt and it also had a different flexplate.It's build sheet says that it was built in august of 1965.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
tq/convt must match input spline count . early C4 is smaller input

input just pulls out of pump . pull and check it to convt .

then you could have later pump and high/rev.& forward drums

check before installed

·
Registered
465 Posts
I may be mistaken but I believe the 160 flexplate was used by the Mustang II. I happen to have one also that came with the C4 and was supposed to have been on a 65 comet with 289. Don't know if the 3 tooth difference is compatible with the the starter or not.
R

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I may be mistaken but I believe the 160 flexplate was used by the Mustang II. I happen to have one also that came with the C4 and was supposed to have been on a 65 comet with 289. Don't know if the 3 tooth difference is compatible with the the starter or not.
R
The Mustang II 302/C4 used a special 141-tooth plate for the small bell to squeeze in the (Pinto) chassis. The early 160T can be used with the same starters as the 157 and 164 plates, including later-model PMGR mini starters.

David

·
Registered
684 Posts
The 160 tooth flexplate is found on lots of early mustangs and was used untill early 1967. Not sure what Ford was doing but it is compatable with the normal 157 tooth flexplate as it uses the small bellhousing c-4.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Makes me think the 160 maybe a "service" part if what David says holds up... would be no need to know if you had the 164 or 157 that way...

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
The starters are interchangeable - not the 157/160/164 plates themselves. Those are still dependent on the torque converter pattern and the bell housing. Though IIRC they use the 10.5" TC pattern like the 157s, the bellhousing matching them is necessary to set correct starter gear placement. So, it's an original deal as cmefly said, and not an interchangeable service part.

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts