Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the ford dealer to try to buy the chrome bullit wheels, and the guy told me that they wont fit because the new wheels are "Metric" and my wheels are "SAE" but, for some reason I think he was lazy and didnt want to look it up on the computer. Is this true, if so what do I do now, I really want these wheels, they look nice and are alot wider.
thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dude is lazy. Your big problem w/ those wheels would be the big spacer you'd have to run to keep your wheels properly positioned in the wheelwell.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I need spacers because the lugs are too long?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
No, the back spacing is off by an inch. You would need to buy spacers for $30 each and longer studs. It would be cheaper to but a set of torque thrust IIs, American Racing has a sale for the 15 and 16 inch rims you can find them for thes than $200 eack for the next week or so.
Chris

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you think about 17 inch bullit wheels compared to the 16 inch torque thrust IIs. I think the bullit wheels look better, but what about the size? will they cause problems? If i have a good suspension system they shouldnt right?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Im running the polished aluminum Tri Stars from a 97 Stang on my 71. DO NOT uses the spacers that only use your existing studs. The spacers I use are held on with their own lugnuts to your existng studs, and the wheel is bolted to studs that are part of the spacer. MUCH stronger. The other design is a disaster waiting to happen. I used an inch and a half spacer up front, to move the wheel right to the edge of the fender lip. I havent spaced the rear yet, as Im not sure of the final tire size Im going to run (255s right now) but will probably space it about the same. I've had no problems with the spacers, and this combo really looks good. One thing to keep in mind though, I've seen those 17'' bullitt rims on a 71 mach, and I didnt like it. Too much rim, not enough tire. Some cars can go with those large exotic rims, but others, it really kills the look.

70 Torino Conv. N code 429

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luv70sFords on 4/30/02 1:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, anyone have any pictures of 17 inch wheels on a 67-68 body mustang?
thanks,

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot, but im wondering how they would look on the 67-68 bodied mustang because its a slightly larger car?
Thank you,

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I found the pair on ebay for the front, but the Company is H&R. They have a variety of thickness's. Cant remember the website off hand, but a quick google search should help ya out. They are spendy, about 200 a pair. I paid 150 for the pair I found on Ebay. Check Ebay out, I think there was a set of four the other day, goin fairly cheap.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where would the rims look funny in front or in back?

·
Registered
407 Posts
The guy at the dealership did you a huge favor, those wheels would look like hell on your Mustang. You need a wheel with 4 inch max backspacing, don't trash your Ford, leave that crap for the Bowtie crowd!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the way the Chrome Bullit wheels look! I dont want the torque thrust II or craigers because I see too many "Bowtie" people with them
. I wonder why all muscle car guys always say no to 17 inch rims. My friend just pointed out to me that the wheels on "Elenor" in gone in 60 senconds were 17 inches or so.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
if you wanna see a pic of a 72 mach with those wheels look in mustang & ford october 2001 mag. look at all the way in the back and you'll see one.

as in this moment, i'm debating between eagle 211 wheels in 15's or 17's. my heart tells me 17's and my brains is tellin me 15's.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Growing up and living in Los Angeles, the beliefe here is fill up the wheel well!
what do you think?
I'd have to agree, the only difference is do ya fill it with a lot of wheel, or a lot of rubber. On a 64-68, Id say a lot of wheel, mainly because they are the models with the best looking coupes. On a 69-73, ya gotta go with a lot of rubber. Just something about these big burly machines that craves a 15'' wheel hugged in large amounts of rubber....

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Luv70sFords, Great insight! I never thought about that and it makes sense, at least to me and you

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Glad ya think so. If ya do decide to get those wheels, your gonna have to get the spacers right away. The backspacing is off enough that the front wheels will hit the upper control arm. What I would do is get the rims, get the tires ina size you think is best mounted on them, and then bolt the wheel up (even if it hits, it'll only be about an 8th" off from where it would be if it seated 100%) and use a tape measure and figure out how much spacer to use to get that wheel right to the edge of the fender with room to move without contact. Like Pontiac said, Wider is better, so get em out as far as possible. IT cleans up the flow of the car, and makes for better handling. Also the measurement for the back may not be the same for the front, so do the same procedure there also.

It would be easy to just use a 1 inch spacer, and get the same backspacing as stock, but on my 71 I was able to space em out an inch and a half, which isnt much more, but really adds to that low wide pouncing stance we all love.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts