Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put the 185's on the 88 mustang with a new cam, found that we definatly need to fly cut the pistons there was absolutely .000" of clearance under the intake valve. The exhaust was borderline but we may take a little off to be safe, as it is supposed to be a mostly street car. But flycutting is going well, and with a little additional labour we should be alright.

·
Registered
991 Posts
185's should be 2.02 and they almost always need radial clearancing at a minimum

·
Registered
106 Posts
according to the corral jay allen can grind you a custom cam that doesn't need flycutting for 5.0 with 185's

·
Registered
991 Posts
jay can grind anything
Just cut em

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea we cut em up, no big deal really, well the only big deal there was is that our cutters kept breaking, (we made homemade ones, welded cutters to an old valve, but the heat got to them made them brittle, not much fun) So I reccomend to anyone that is going to flycut anything, get some actual cutters that are actually made for doing this If you can!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Starting the car tonight, I hope she doesn't blow chunks. Will let you know how it runs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Smidgy on 9/12/06 1:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car works awesome, sounds awesome and is generally awesome. But the only problme that we have run into is that it will not idle. It seems to be always searching and then it quits. Going around town stop at a stop light and she quits.

But is it ever strong for a 302 very happy

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-09-14 05:58, Smidgy wrote:

But the only problme that we have run into is that it will not idle. It seems to be always searching and then it quits. Going around town stop at a stop light and she quits.

But is it ever strong for a 302 very happy
Hmm...probably that big hole in the top of the piston where the valve relief used to be...in my expert opinion!

Just kidding!

Seriously though, glad it runs strong!

Cris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it never cut that much out of there, just a little. haha, yea but I have heard of this before and I think that there is a few things that you can do to solve this. It is pretty funny when you come to a stop light and you know it is going to stall, so you get one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake, and then you gotta find one to bump the gas petal to stop it from stalling, can be very interesting. haha.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Change the power valve(s) to match the idle vacuum signal and it will stop "hunting" and settle in to the RPM you set it at.
It sounds like it starts to idle down, loses the vacuum signal and that opens the power valve. Then the engine runs up a little until it is too rich and then it dies. You would be safe getting a 25 power valve. It will stay closed until the manifold vacuum drops to 2.5 inches of mercury. At an idle even with a radical engine it is unlikely to drop that low. You might want to double check the vacuum as you go through the traps with the throttle wide open to make sure it isn't closing on you. You don't want to lean out the engine at 7000 RPM and full power.
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts