Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, I am new to the site.
I am putting together a 302 HO out of a 91 mustang to throw in a 1930 ford I am building, I am aiming for about 400-450 hp and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a relatively inexpensive top end? I am just going with a carb instead of the efi. It has a mild comp cam & hyper eutectic pistons. I was thinking about going with AFR heads but someone told me that is overkill and they are expensive, patriot heads were suggested. I also have to pick a decent intake and carb too.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are endless possibilities out there. I am glad to hear that your not putting a Chevy in it. We have a 33 all steel Ford coupe but she has a ZZ 430. We are looking at putting in a new 5.0 in it. As far as yours I would look at stroking your 5.0 and definetly do the AFR heads. Look at the victor Jr. Air gap intake and a Holley 650 double pumper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, you got any pics of your 33? That sounds sweet

I know this is gonna sound kinda dumb.. you get what you pay for, but I am trying to find the best combo for the lowest price

I am building her on my own at home and trying to squeeze every last penny out of her haha basically have just started with a frame, a body, and a parts car (86 cougar)

Now if you think that is the way to go I am sure I can scrape funds together but any other suggestions would be awesome too

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
400-450 hp from a stock 8.2 deck block, you're gonna wanna stroke it or use a power adder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats what I had originally thought but check this article out, of course this is efi but similar nonetheless:

400 HP 302 ci AFR 165 cc(Stock Cam)

And for the cost of power adders or stroke I will take a bit of a drop in power, I wanna get the car running and driving for a decent price, then sink money into it later as I go

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yeah thats what I had originally thought but check this article out, of course this is efi but similar nonetheless:

400 HP 302 ci AFR 165 cc(Stock Cam)

And for the cost of power adders or stroke I will take a bit of a drop in power, I wanna get the car running and driving for a decent price, then sink money into it later as I go
That article is 8 years old and has been talked about for years. No one since then has been able to duplicate that power using those parts. Consences is it was tested on a very happy dyno. This is the internet, just because you read it doesn't make it so.

My previous engine was a 347 stroker w/AFR185 heads, 300 degree advertised duration roller cam, RPM intake, 650 DP Holley, long tube headers, etc. Made 421 hp @6500rpm at the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That number seems really low
Let me guess, you read somewhere on the internet that someone with my exact same combo made 600 hp... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it is worth the money to go with the AFR heads instead of Patriot?
Is there any other intake, carb combos that anyone would suggest or is the victor Jr. Air gap intake and a Holley 650 double pumper the way to go?
Oh and thanks for the link SLCK64 browsed is quick, looks pretty good I am gonna have to read that for sure.

·
Registered
736 Posts
So it is worth the money to go with the AFR heads instead of Patriot?
Is there any other intake, carb combos that anyone would suggest or is the victor Jr. Air gap intake and a Holley 650 double pumper the way to go?
Oh and thanks for the link SLCK64 browsed is quick, looks pretty good I am gonna have to read that for sure.
From what ive seen on here AFRs are good for their money. Wont be disappointed. Ive had good luck with World Products heads like the ones in the FM 302 build, cheaper than AFRs and other aftermarket heads cause they are iron not AL.

Cant go wrong with Edelbrock intakes and a holley carb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts