Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I own the above truck (bought as a project), a 1956 Ford F700 currently with an original 272 Y-Block, 5 speed, 2 speed rear end. I am doing a vintage car hauler out of her (ramp truck). This truck will see limited action, mostly for hauling my vintage/classic cars, etc... Probably criuse @ 55-60MPH. It will occasionally "show" with my other vehicles as well. The 272 was tired as obvious when I did a compression test. Unfortunately Y-Blocks just don't make it from a power perspective. My thoughts were a 391FE truck motor or a standard 390FE. It appears the swap is fairly easy as far as installing the motor. Bolt-in cross member and it is done. My question, is the 391 a good choice?? How will this motor do with the original drivetrain?? Will the tranny bolt up to the FE bellhousing?? What other issues might I have?? I believe the radiator will handle the conversion. Any thoughts are appreciated.....
Thanx

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have the bellhousing and front mount that you need to do that swap,the person I got them from was going to do the same swap but sold the truck. They came off a FT motor but I was told they will work on a FE. Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff,
Let me know what you want for the hardware and maybe we can work something out. The 391 is an FT motor by the way (my error above). Thanx for the response.....

·
Registered
949 Posts
I will trade it for a good 600CFM holley or edelbrock carb,you pay for shipping on bellhousing and I wil pay for carb or trade for ?. Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts