Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fairlane will not go into park. I can shift into the park position but the car does not hold. I have adjusted the linkage but that did not help. I dropped the transmission pan and this is what I can see. Is there anything else I can check before I have to pull the whole transmission? I also pictured the serial numbers on the trans
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you are absolutely sure the trans linkage is going fully into the Park detent, then the issue is likely the park pawl itself.

Within the last 6 months I have rebuilt 2 cast iron Cruise-O-Matics that both had park issues.

The first had the park pawl cracked at the pivot hole and required TIG welding to fix it. The pawl is made from cast iron/steel.
We tried to buy a good used pawl but seems it's made from unobtainium.

The second one was an older design that has the pawl supported on needle bearings at the pivot (rather than just a hole with the support pin like the first one).
We had to machine/fabricate a new support pin and bush the hole in the pawl, as the needle bearings were damaged/falling out and we could not find a suitable replacement.

Both repairs were a pain in the a$$ and needed the skills of a machinist and a good welder.

IF you can find a replacement pawl (assuming yours is cracked which is sorta common) it's not too bad to fix,
but does require at least partial disassembly of the trans.
If you're REALLY good, you could actually fix it in the car, but you'd have to be very familiar with this trans.
The pawl is tricky to remove (and replace) from the case, even with the trans on the bench and completely stripped down.

Being yours is a 58 it is likely the needle bearing type.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts