Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Paul
I am a Ranchero owner and a memeber of The National Falcon club as well as the editor of my local chapter. I am researching a story and it has crossed paths with the Galaxie. So I am posting here in hopes some Galaxie owners have heard about it.

Here is the quote I read from the book "Ford Ranchero: 1957-1979 A Photo History"
Author James C. Mays
Chapter 2: 1960-1965 specifically under the heading 1960
With no sedan pickup of any kind in the stable, Ford's Sedan Delivery was offered on the full sized passenger car body. Canadians could order a Meteor Sedan Delivery. Before the downsized Rancheros were finally available for market, a good sized order for Rancheros was received from a large power company in the Pacific Northwest. Rather than lose out to Chevrolet, Ford reached into the 1959 parts bin and cobbled together a number of fullsized 1960 Rancheros based on the 1960 Galaxie body.

So do any of you guys know of a 1960 Galaxie Body Ranchero? The quote implies a majority were sold to a power company in the Pacific North west (PG&E maybe?) So it possibly came in that really puke tan color they used in the 60's!

Any information would be appreciated..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Your "Ranch Liner" looks AWESOME

Whether they are fullsized or compact, you just cant hate a Roundy Wagon...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
On 2006-12-04 20:12, crazygutgut wrote:

Here is the quote I read from the book "Ford Ranchero: 1957-1979 A Photo History"

Author James C. Mays

Chapter 2: 1960-1965 specifically under the heading 1960

With no sedan pickup of any kind in the stable, Ford's Sedan Delivery was offered on the full sized passenger car body. Canadians could order a Meteor Sedan Delivery. Before the downsized Rancheros were finally available for market, a good sized order for Rancheros was received from a large power company in the Pacific Northwest. Rather than lose out to Chevrolet, Ford reached into the 1959 parts bin and cobbled together a number of fullsized 1960 Rancheros based on the 1960 Galaxie body.

So do any of you guys know of a 1960 Galaxie Body Ranchero? The quote implies a majority were sold to a power company in the Pacific North west (PG&E maybe?)
The Country Sedan was still available in 1960 as well as 1961, so a conversion with 1959 bed parts would not have been that difficult.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
This is a cross post from another site. Not a '60 but still an interesting vehicle. Reminds me of the Utes.

Deb

Post that was with photo.
I took this pic in 1975 of a 1954
Ford / Meteor "Open Delivery" 12 of which were built in Oakville,
Ontario, Canada in February of 1954.

Was this the prototype for the Ranchero ?????????

It sure looks like it!

This vehicle was sitting on a used car lot in Port Hope, Ontario and
belonged to the owner of the lot. It was definately not for sale, I
tried to buy it for $3,000 but it was no deal. At the time it was
stated that it was probably the only one left in existence.

I would like to take this to Barrett Jackson!!!!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
At our local library they had on the shelf a book on designs and cars not put into production. They had a picture of a mock-up of the full sized 1960 ranchero in 1958. They also had pictures of the smaller ranchero, but was labeled as an Edsel. A 1960 Ranchero with an Edsel snout too.

I used to have a 1960 Ford shop manual, and it mentioned how to fix things on the full sized Ranchero. Other than in pictures, I never saw one either.

Wm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shotrod
That is so cool.. obviously the Ranchero Predecessor, but I love that ROUND roof and Panoramic back window, very indicative of the 56 f100!!

Coosbay
So was the shop manual for American makes?
The library is a good idea.. Also I tried emailing the author of the book, only to find out his email bounces, so I am going to send him a real letter...Im not sure if I actually own a pen!!

Thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have gotten further information from the president of thr Ranchero Enthusiasts club. He sent me a 10 year old article, that confirms the quote from the book, he hasnt given me permission to repost it yet, but I can say there was aconfirmation of a power worker who had one in Washington State, he claimed most were bare bones models except for a handfull made for the supervisors. The estimate was 500

I did get an image too, all though not a great one
http://gluck.net/paul/pix/galaxierancehro.JPG

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The manual I had said copyright 1959. It applied to USA type sales. In rear was the slip in or rip out section on the 1960 full sized Ranchero. As I have a 1960 Falcon based one, it was excess around here so got rid of it about two years ago.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1bad6t on 12/7/06 11:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jeff, Man you are every where!!

Coosbay. I have sent a bunch of inquiries to some ebay dealers selling 1960 Fordf SHop Manuals..apparently not all those manualS have that SECTION!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That rear end is very reminiscent of a 59-60 Starliner....

Puget Power and Light may have been the receipient of those ranchero's...

They're a very old and very large power company in Washington...

FE

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The image that Jeff posted was the one I saw in the book, 'cept it was colored.

The last section of the manual I had, (I think section 15) was detached. No hint of glue to hold that group of pages in place. That whole section also had illustratioins of the station wagon, Starliner, four doors, etc. Did not think this unusual at the time for had other manuals that had pages coming out and was glad to get rid of it for exact price I got it for.

The copyright date is what confused me. The gal who was selling it mentioned they manual had early Ranchero's tear downs shown. I was thinking it to be of the original style front suspension, brakes, etc. as used during the 1959 built Falcons. I did not find it, but she also said there was something in the book which indicated the first copyright of that book to be in 1958. Near a year before any sheet metal was stamped out for any of the versions.

All I can remember now, other than it was quite fingered through, grease smeared pages, and was only $15. The next owner of the book complained about the loose last section.

Wm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Coosbay, Thanks... I am trying to find one...I currently have emails to all the dealers on EBAY that are selling one. so far 3 have written back that their manuals DONT have that section..

Falcon Around
I definetly would like to see one, I am growing fond of it...I will Search Puget Powwer now too....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts